[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mayday, mayday, mayday - i'm in deep trouble

roessli@sc2a.unige.ch (David Roessli) (07/18/90)

Mayday, mayday, mayday ..

    i'm experiencing deep trouble with a Mac IIx and various peripherics,
and was wondering if any of you out there had seen anything like it before.
Here it comes:

Context: we've purchased a Mac IIx, 8Mb RAM, 1 external 142Mb LaCie disk, 1
         internal 192Mb LaCie disk (Tsunami or something like that), Sigma
         Design ColorMax 19" screen (8 bits), Apple's CD-ROM drive, Ethernet
         board, Howtek ScanMaster II (with internal board).

         The whole thing upgraded to version 6.0.5

         Inits and CDevs: Suitcase, Rear window, Boomerang, On Cue, SuperClock,
         EtherTalk and Apple CDs stuff, NBGIB handler (scanner), Vaccine,
         GateKeeper Aid and Dimmer.
                                                        .. and all goes wrong!

Trouble: at first, the little disk with the dreaded '?' comes up .. finds no
         disk to boot on. Boot again, all's fine. Then suddenly, the *whole*
         system crashes .. from within *any* application, even from the Finder!
         and that at *any* time .. Then it's impossible to reboot for 20 to 30
         minutes. You get that awfull 'hardware-problem-beep-sound'.. the
         screen stays blank, or if it reboots (rare) you suddenly get a
         dialog box with *nothing* in it, then bang! it all crashes again.
         What's weird, is that it can work okay during a whole day, then crash.
         Or just crash all the time.. (sigh)

What we've done: after having checked out for viruses, bad connections and so
         on, we checked the disks out with our LaCie dealer, changed the
         internal one once. Given the Mac to our Apple dealer twice, complete
         check up, changed the motherboard the second check. And *NO* LOGICAL
         ANSWER from any of them .. The LaCie dealer says its an Apple problem
         (Motherboard, SCSI or whatever..), and the Apple dealer says all is
         okay with *their* stuff, must come from the disks .. or the video
         controler board .. or maybe the scanner, .. or this .. or that, but
         get on with it!

Today:   we have one Mac IIx fully equiped, crashing when it feels like it,
         and no answer from any of the so called professionals supposed to
         provide technical support. (sirrrrgh!)

So if anybody has any idea of what is going on, please give me a hint..
Is my configuration incompatible in some weird and hidden way ? Or what ?!

Looking forward to reading you

:david (might well go back to PCs in the end.. - cynic ?)

================
David C. Roessli                  Email: roessli@sc2a.unige.ch
Dpt Anthropologie & Ecologie             ROESSLI@CGEUGE52.BITNET
University of Geneva                     david@scsun.unige.ch
12, rue Gustave-Revilliod         Voice: +41(22)436.930
CH-1227  Geneva  SWITZERLAND      Fax  : +41(22)3000.351

`any program that as been fully debbuged is probably obsolete' [Murphy et al.]

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (07/19/90)

roessli@sc2a.unige.ch (David Roessli) writes:

>Mayday, mayday, mayday ..

>    i'm experiencing deep trouble with a Mac IIx and various peripherics,
>and was wondering if any of you out there had seen anything like it before.
>Here it comes:

>Context: we've purchased a Mac IIx, 8Mb RAM, 1 external 142Mb LaCie disk, 1
>         internal 192Mb LaCie disk (Tsunami or something like that), Sigma
>         Design ColorMax 19" screen (8 bits), Apple's CD-ROM drive, Ethernet
>         board, Howtek ScanMaster II (with internal board).

>         The whole thing upgraded to version 6.0.5

>         Inits and CDevs: Suitcase, Rear window, Boomerang, On Cue, SuperClock,
>         EtherTalk and Apple CDs stuff, NBGIB handler (scanner), Vaccine,
>         GateKeeper Aid and Dimmer.

First, I would remove all but the bare minimum needed to get the machine up.
Remove the external drive, the Ethernet board, and the scanner board.  Check
to make sure that all the RAM is seated correctly in their SIMM sockets.
The dreaded "chord" can tell you a lot about what is failing.  From the sounds
of your problems, I would say that one of your cards is failing, so it sets
an internal flag (in the slot PRAM) not to reboot.  However, the next time
it reboots, it clears the flag, attempts to initialize the card and BOOM!
The dreaded chord.  However, you could have mismatched RAM SIMMs (no flames
please!  I've had this happen to me) where you have different speed SIMMs
within a bank.  Check it out and good luck!

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

warner@scubed.SCUBED.COM (Ken Warner) (07/19/90)

>What we've done: after having checked out for viruses, bad connections and so
>         on, we checked the disks out with our LaCie dealer, changed the
>         internal one once. Given the Mac to our Apple dealer twice,
>         And *NO* LOGICAL  ANSWER from any of them .. The LaCie dealer says
>         its an Apple problem  etc.

We are going through the same loop with a IIci and a SyQuest (from LaCie).  We
have not yet resolved the situation but information from magazines and other
netters suggest that trying an external termiation on the SCSI bus perhaps using
a IIfx external terminator with different addresses for the external drive might
help.  We have not tried this yet.  I'm just passing on what I've heard.

One article in a recent MacUser or MacWorld (I'm sorry but I can't supply the
reference) described a similar problem and solution.  Does any one else
remember this article?

Ken Warner

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (07/21/90)

In article <205@sc2a.unige.ch>
           roessli@sc2a.unige.ch (David Roessli) writes:

>     i'm experiencing deep trouble with a Mac IIx and various peripherics,
> and was wondering if any of you out there had seen anything like it
> before.  Here it comes:
>
> Context:
>     we've purchased a Mac IIx, 8Mb RAM, 1 external 142Mb LaCie disk,
>     1 internal 192Mb LaCie disk (Tsunami or something like that),
>     Sigma Design ColorMax 19" screen (8 bits), Apple's CD-ROM drive,
>     Ethernet board, Howtek ScanMaster II (with internal board).
>
>     The whole thing upgraded to version 6.0.5
                  [...etc...]

You might start out by trying to cut down on the number of devices you
have.  SCSI devices are simple to set up, as long has you have only one of
them.  Start tossing 4 or 5 together and getting the connections right can
be a bit of a hassle.  You might want to check a recent article in
MacWorld or MacUser on the art of connecting SCSI devices, written by Thom
Hogan, if I remember right.

If it were me, I'd start by trying to run the system minus the external
drive and the CD-ROM drive.  That's just a guess though.  Note that it
isn't the *devices* that are screwed up (assuming the problem is what I
think it is), it's the combination of devices & terminators in the entire
SCSI string.  I don't know what a "Scanmaster" is, but if that's a SCSI
device too then take that off the machine.  See how well it runs with
that combination of hardware first.

Oh, yes, and *do* make sure all your SCSI devices are at different
addresses!

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA