[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 400K drive repair ?

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) (07/23/90)

I am looking at a 400K drive for a friend who has an older Mac, and it seems
that the drive isn't accepting floppies.  It isn't open and waiting for a disk
to be inserted, it is closed.  I can manually open it by pushing on the tab
behind the pinhole and then it will accept a floppy just fine.  Anyone out
there willing to do some remote repair consultation ?

thanks,

/mark

rkm@PacBell.COM (Richard Mossman) (07/24/90)

In article <47521602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:

>I am looking at a 400K drive for a friend who has an older Mac, and it seems
>that the drive isn't accepting floppies.  It isn't open and waiting for a disk
>to be inserted, it is closed.  I can manually open it by pushing on the tab
>behind the pinhole and then it will accept a floppy just fine.  Anyone out
>there willing to do some remote repair consultation ?

I took mine apart, sprayed WD-40 on the slide points (being careful to spray
AWAY from the disk carriage mechanism) kept working the various mechanisms
till they moved freely and then reassembled it.  It works fine.

I realize this probably isn't as good as some other lubricants, but the price
was right and it's working for now (and wasn't before).  That's my test.

It originally looked like the original lubricant had turned into honey on all
the slide points.  It was YUCKY!!
--
Richard K. Mossman  {att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!rkm
415/823-0974