[net.columbia] In Memory

wts@burl.UUCP (wts) (01/29/86)

[]
After all the previous discussion of the renaming of this newsgroup to something
else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
January 28, 1986.

					William T. Sykes
					AT&T Federal Systems
					Burlington, NC 27215
					burl!wts

gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (Wilkin) (01/29/86)

> []
> else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
> memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
> January 28, 1986.
> 					William T. Sykes
> 					burl!wts

 add a second vote here
--

George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems   usenet ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw
312-979-6593 work

johnt@utai.UUCP (John Turner) (01/29/86)

In article <975@burl.UUCP> wts@burl.UUCP (wts) writes:
>[]
>After all the previous discussion of the renaming of this newsgroup to something
>else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
>memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
>January 28, 1986.
>
>					William T. Sykes
>					AT&T Federal Systems
>					Burlington, NC 27215
>					burl!wts

I concur, and wish to add my voice to the suggestion.

					John Turner
					University Of Toronto
					Toronto, Canada

hartwig@ihlpm.UUCP (hartwig) (01/30/86)

> > else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
> > memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
> > January 28, 1986.
>
>  add a second vote here
> --

...and a third here.

Max Hartwig
AT&T - Bell Labs
ihnp4!ihlpm!hartwig

yee@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter E. Yee) (01/30/86)

In article <975@burl.UUCP> wts@burl.UUCP (wts) writes:
>After all the previous discussion of the renaming of this newsgroup to something
>else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
>memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
>January 28, 1986.
>
>					William T. Sykes
>					burl!wts

Let me add an emphatic ditto to that.  I have cross-posted this net.news.group
so the powers that be will see this.

					-Peter E. Yee
					..ucbvax!yee
					yee@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

prs@aicchi.UUCP (Schmidt) (01/30/86)

In article <975@burl.UUCP> wts@burl.UUCP (wts) writes:
>[]
>After the previous discussion of the renaming of this newsgroup to something
>else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
>memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
>January 28, 1986.

Add another vote from me too.

					Paul
					ihnp4!aicchi!prs
					ihnp4!chinet!gahan

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (01/30/86)

>>> else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger
>>  add a second vote here
> ...and a third here.

I also feel a deep regret over this loss.  My father was a test
pilot, and knows the same feeling better than most of us.  He
taught me to "learn from your mistakes; don't dwell on them."
The best tribute we can pay to the memory of the Challenger
crew is to perpetuate their own forward thinking.

One vote against.

dkw@homxb.UUCP (D.WOMBOUGH) (01/30/86)

This sounds good to me to

schaefer@puff.UUCP (Matthew Schaefer) (01/30/86)

devils1@hou2g.UUCP (D.DARBY) (01/31/86)

>>[]
>>After all the previous discussion of the renaming of this newsgroup to something
>>else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
>>memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
>>January 28, 1986.
>>
>>					William T. Sykes
>>					AT&T Federal Systems
>>					Burlington, NC 27215
>>					burl!wts
>
>I concur, and wish to add my voice to the suggestion.
>

>                                        John Turner
>                                        University Of Toronto
>                                        Toronto, Canada

It seems that it would only be appropriate that something like this
be done.  We should never forget Challenger, or what mission 51-L
was to mean for all of us.

	 (I can't claim any disclaimers
	  because it's tax season)

					   Dave Darby
					   AT&T Bell Labs
					   Holmdel, NJ

4432jrm@mtuxo.UUCP (01/31/86)

> > []
> > else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
> > memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
> > January 28, 1986.
> > 					William T. Sykes
> > 					burl!wts
>
>  add a second vote here
> --
>
> George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems   usenet ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw
> 312-979-6593 work

and a third vote here!

	joe.
	mtuxo!4432jrm

good@osu-eddie.UUCP (Douglas N. Good) (01/31/86)

>After all the previous discussion of the renaming of this newsgroup to something
>else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
>memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
>January 28, 1986.
>
>					William T. Sykes
>					AT&T Federal Systems
>					Burlington, NC 27215
>					burl!wts

Please include my vote as well.

morgan@h-sc1.UUCP (windsor morgan) (01/31/86)

> >>  add a second vote here
> > ...and a third here.
>
> I also feel a deep regret over this loss.  My father was a test
> pilot, and knows the same feeling better than most of us.  He
> taught me to "learn from your mistakes; don't dwell on them."
> The best tribute we can pay to the memory of the Challenger
> crew is to perpetuate their own forward thinking.
>
> One vote against.

  One more here against, for what it is worth. (Why not net.shuttle?)

dimario@ihlpg.UUCP (Michael J. DiMario) (01/31/86)

> >>[]
> >>After all the previous discussion of the renaming of this newsgroup to something
> >>else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
> >>memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
> >>January 28, 1986.
> >>
> >>					William T. Sykes
> >>					AT&T Federal Systems
> >>					Burlington, NC 27215
> >>					burl!wts
> >
> >I concur, and wish to add my voice to the suggestion.
> >

> >                                        John Turner
> >                                        University Of Toronto
> >                                        Toronto, Canada
>

> It seems that it would only be appropriate that something like this
> be done.  We should never forget Challenger, or what mission 51-L
> was to mean for all of us.
>

> 	 (I can't claim any disclaimers
> 	  because it's tax season)
>
> 					   Dave Darby
> 					   AT&T Bell Labs
> 					   Holmdel, NJ

I also believe the suggestion is an excellent one. The program must continue
and it will succeed through dedication.

					Mike DiMario
					AT&T Bell Labs
					Naperville, IL

jor_d015@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) (01/31/86)

I support the move to change this group's name to net.challenger.

jdr@homxb.UUCP (jdr) (01/31/86)

I'll 25th that idea.

dpb@laidbak.UUCP (Darryl Baker) (01/31/86)

I too would like that.

				Darryl Baker
				ihnp4!laidbak!dpb

cjsgro@watdragon.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (01/31/86)

In article <249@bambi.UUCP> steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:

>I also feel a deep regret over this loss.  My father was a test
>pilot, and knows the same feeling better than most of us.  He
>taught me to "learn from your mistakes; don't dwell on them."
>The best tribute we can pay to the memory of the Challenger
>crew is to perpetuate their own forward thinking.
>
>One vote against.

And another, for the same reasons.

bjb@nvzg2.UUCP (Bernie Brown) (01/31/86)

> > []
> > else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
> > memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
> > January 28, 1986.
> > 					William T. Sykes
> > 					burl!wts
>
>  add a second vote here

and another one, or more, here.
--
Bernie Brown (AT&T-IS, Altamonte Springs, FL)
UUCP ...!ihnp4!codas!nvzg2!bjb

jimc@haddock.UUCP (02/01/86)

> After all the previous discussion of the renaming of this
> newsgroup to something else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be
> renamed net.challenger in loving memory of those seven who met
> their tragic end this the morning of January 28, 1986.
>
> 					William T. Sykes
> 					AT&T Federal Systems
> 					Burlington, NC 27215
> 					burl!wts

A splendid idea!  I am taking the liberty of writing this into
net.news.group and net.general.

______________________________
Jim Campbell
{decvax ! cca | yale | ihnp4 | cbosgd}!ima!jimc
{bbncca | harvard | zurton | cfib | mit-ems | wjh12 }!ima!jimc
{uscvax | ucla-vax | vortex}!ism780!jimc
INTERACTIVE Systems, 7th floor, 441 Stuart St, Boston, MA 02116; 617-247-1155

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (02/01/86)

> > []
> > else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
> > memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
> > January 28, 1986.
> > 					William T. Sykes
> > 					burl!wts
>
>  add a second vote here
> --
>
> George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems

I'd like to add my vote.

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (02/02/86)

In article <249@bambi.UUCP> steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>  [articles in support of changing net.columbia to net.challenger]
>I also feel a deep regret over this loss.  ....
>The best tribute we can pay to the memory of the Challenger
>crew is to perpetuate their own forward thinking.
>
>One vote against.

Another vote against.  As much as I am devastated by this, and as much
as I want them remembered, I would rather remember them in life, not
in death.  This is a very emotional issue, but we must retain a sense of
perspective.  Challenger's crew was the first, but probably not the last.

Does someone have the address of that private company that wanted to build
a shuttle?  I want to send them some money......
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA

vc253ah@unmc.UUCP (02/04/86)

In article <> gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (Wilkin) writes:
>> []
>> else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
>> memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
>> January 28, 1986.
>> 					William T. Sykes
>> 					burl!wts
>
> add a second vote here
>--
>
>George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems   usenet ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw

Add yet another vote.
RCR

tcculpep@uok.UUCP (02/05/86)

/* Written  4:23 pm  Jan 30, 1986 by 4432jrm@mtuxo.UUCP in uok.UUCP:net.columbia */
> > []
> > else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
> > memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
> > January 28, 1986.
> > 					William T. Sykes
> > 					burl!wts
>
>  add a second vote here
> --
>
> George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems   usenet ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw
> 312-979-6593 work

and a third vote here!

	joe.
	mtuxo!4432jrm

	and an n'th vote here.

	taylor culpepper
	univ. of Oklahoma
	{ihnp4}!okstate!uokvax!uok!tcculpep

werner@aecom.UUCP (02/08/86)

> > > ...and a third here.
> >
> > One vote against.
>
>   One more here against, for what it is worth.

	A third (and presumably more'th) against.  Honoring the fallen is one
thing, yes, but let us look forward, and hope that something like this never
happens again.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner