[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Backing up local drives in a Mac network

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (07/26/90)

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:

>I'm looking for helpful suggestions as to my back-up options.  We've
>got a few hundred Macs, and a few hundred Suns, Suns on Ethernet, Macs

>I'm not sure if any of this makes sense; would my best bet be to
>suggest getting NetStream/JetStream, and handling things that way?  Or

>Heck, i'm willing to suggest Network Diskfit and a Syquest cartridge
>hard drive.  Right now, I'd just like to know what you people out
>there are doing to back up your 80+ meg HD's, especially if you use a

And does anyone have an elegant way to back up local HDs over the net?
Man-oh-man, I need a *secured* way to get the data off local drives and
backed up!  (There is a way to do this on PC Novell networks, but I have
yet to see its equiv. on the Mac side.)

While I'm wishing, how about a network interface card (pref. 10BASE-T
twisted-pair Ethernet) for Macs that lets 'em boot off the network?
SEs?  II-series?

	Thanks in advance for anwering life's huge questions,
		Alex

(If this works, maybe I'll ask "how can we pay off the National Debt"
next.....)
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (07/26/90)

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

>francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:

>>I'm looking for helpful suggestions as to my back-up options.  We've
>>got a few hundred Macs, and a few hundred Suns, Suns on Ethernet, Macs

>And does anyone have an elegant way to back up local HDs over the net?
>Man-oh-man, I need a *secured* way to get the data off local drives and
>backed up!  (There is a way to do this on PC Novell networks, but I have
>yet to see its equiv. on the Mac side.)

The best security is physical security.  If you find a *secured* way to
back up over the net, LET ME KNOW.  For you, I'd suggest something
portable that can be carried around from machine to machine.  A tape drive
that you can hook up to the machine you want to back up, and then when
you're done, go on to the next.  I have 1 streaming tape backup drive
attached to an Appleshare server.  I could backup the office Macs to a tape
easily, but Professors (on the net, but not on the local ring) would be a
different matter.  So far, the only thing that gets backed up regular is
the servers own personal harddrive.

Anyway.
--
Macintosh related:  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu
All else:  aslakson@cs.umn.edu

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.165714.20358@cs.umn.edu> aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:
>>And does anyone have an elegant way to back up local HDs over the net?
>>Man-oh-man, I need a *secured* way to get the data off local drives and
>>backed up!  (There is a way to do this on PC Novell networks, but I have
>>yet to see its equiv. on the Mac side.)
>
>The best security is physical security.  If you find a *secured* way to
>back up over the net, LET ME KNOW.  For you, I'd suggest something

I don't know what do you mean by secure here, but one possibility
which I have been thinking of (and even tried to fulfill when I had
Tecmar DATaVault for testing) is that you do one time whole backups on
every Mac and then attach the DAT-tape drive to one Mac that takes the
changed files which are backed up to a file on every Mac. Oscar can
do the transfering. As I told before I tried this but the problem
was only that we didn't manage to get Retrospect v1.1 to work as
expected according to release notes with that DAT drive. It can be
that the newer version of Retro (v.1.1.2) can do it but we don't have
the drive anymore.
--
| harri.valkama@wmac00.uwasa.fi hv@uwasa.fi hv@flame.uwasa.fi hv@nic.funet.fi |