[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HELP - RADIUS PIVOT DISPLAY PROBS

johnston@adhawk.Eng.Sun.COM (Scott Johnston) (07/27/90)

Radius.Engineers and/or others with experience with Radius
Pivot Display:

Reviews have raved about the Radius Pivot display, but they
have also mentioned that the displays show a slight distortion near
the edges.  I examined one of these displays at ComputerWare in
Palo Alto, and it seemed fine:  no bothering distortion to
speak of, beautiful resolution, etc.

So I bought one.  Upon powering it up, I saw bad distortion in
the upper left hand corner of the display, about 1/4 inch in from
both the top and left side.  "Bad distortion" means that windows
were bent when they were dragged into this corner. (The display was
in portrait mode i.e. vertical).  So I took it back to my dealer,
who gave me a new one from Radius after about a week.

Same problem, although not quite as bad.  Same place.  Windows
still bend when they are dragged up into this corner.

Am I alone here?  Do ALL Pivot's display this problem?  Was I seeing
things on the demo model in the computer store?  Radius has been
very helpful on the phone, but if the next ten monitors that I
receive and return have this problem...

Thanks in advance for time and advice.

sj
johnston@portia.stanford.edu
johnston@adhawk.sun.com
----------------------------

ee299bw@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (He's Gone) (07/30/90)

In article <139716@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> johnston@adhawk.Eng.Sun.COM (Scott Johnston) writes:
>So I bought one.  Upon powering it up, I saw bad distortion in
>the upper left hand corner of the display, about 1/4 inch in from

>Am I alone here?  Do ALL Pivot's display this problem?  Was I seeing
>things on the demo model in the computer store?  Radius has been

Someone in our office just bought one last week, and I used it for
about a day. The picture was wonderful, no distortion anywhere.
Sounds like they have a quality control problem.

Dave
--
***********************    Dave Chesavage    ****************************
*                       dchesavage@ucsd.edu                             *

mbarton@nyx.UUCP (Michael Barton) (07/30/90)

All displays the size of the Radius are affected by the Earths Graviational
fields.  Radius compensates for this by aligning all their machines while
they are facing East.  This may all sound like a bunch of Mumbo Jumbo, but
give it a try - in that orientation you should get the least amount of
distortion.

geh@mdavcr.UUCP (Graeme Hiebert) (07/31/90)

In article <1727@nyx.UUCP> mbarton@nyx.UUCP (Michael Barton) writes:
>All displays the size of the Radius are affected by the Earths Graviational
>fields.  Radius compensates for this by aligning all their machines while
>they are facing East.  This may all sound like a bunch of Mumbo Jumbo, but
>give it a try - in that orientation you should get the least amount of
>distortion.

I can't see how the gravitational field of the Earth can affect the
directional capabilities of a stream of electrons.  Furthermore, I don't think
that facing East would cause any different gravitational effect.

Magnetic fields, on the other hand... Now that's a different story.;-)

   -g

ee299bw@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (He's Gone) (07/31/90)

In article <909@carto.mdavcr.UUCP> geh@mdavcr.UUCP (Graeme Hiebert) writes:
>In article <1727@nyx.UUCP> mbarton@nyx.UUCP (Michael Barton) writes:
>>All displays the size of the Radius are affected by the Earths Graviational
>>fields.  Radius compensates for this by aligning all their machines while
>>they are facing East.  This may all sound like a bunch of Mumbo Jumbo, but
>>give it a try - in that orientation you should get the least amount of
>>distortion.
>I can't see how the gravitational field of the Earth can affect the
>directional capabilities of a stream of electrons.  Furthermore, I don't think
>that facing East would cause any different gravitational effect.
>Magnetic fields, on the other hand... Now that's a different story.;-)

Wow.... now THAT sounds like a tall tale. But then again, as I
posted earlier, the Radius I was using looked fine, and my desk
faces west... which means the monitor is facing east.

So who knows.....