[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Does anyone have an "accelerated" Mac with decent sound ?

johnt@seila.UUCP (john grant) (07/12/90)

	The title really says it all - every accelerated Mac (classic) that
I have seen has badly distorted sound when running accelerated, is there
a board that leaves the sound as it should be ?

				John

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (07/13/90)

In article <632@seila.UUCP>, johnt@seila.UUCP (john grant) writes:

> 	The title really says it all - every accelerated Mac (classic) that
> I have seen has badly distorted sound when running accelerated, is there
> a board that leaves the sound as it should be ?

  I have used the Radius Accelerator 16 in my SE.  It comes with an init
  which corrects the sound output.  The error comes from the accelerator
  running at 16MHz while the sound driver on the motherboard is still
  geared for 8MHz.  The only problem with the Radius accelerators is that
  I think all of them are based on the 68020.  I don't think they have
  put out a 68030 based accelerator yet, and you can't install a PMMU into
  their 68020 accelerator board.  They really should put out an '030
  version since MacPluses and SEs are limited to 4MB of RAM on their
  motherboard, hence making the ability to use virtual memory a
  virtual necessity for memory hungry users.

--
thomas willett
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (07/31/90)

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:

}In article <632@seila.UUCP>, johnt@seila.UUCP (john grant) writes:
}>
}> 	The title really says it all - every accelerated Mac (classic) that
}> I have seen has badly distorted sound when running accelerated, is there
}> a board that leaves the sound as it should be ?
}>
}  I have used the Radius Accelerator 16 in my SE.  It comes with an init
}  which corrects the sound output.  The error comes from the accelerator
}  running at 16MHz while the sound driver on the motherboard is still
}  geared for 8MHz.

And, last Friday (7/27/90) I just released a new version (2.8) of our
Accelerator INIT which (for the most part) makes significantly improves
the quality of digitized sound playback on the Accelerator 16 for the Mac
Plus.  In addition, it allows users with Radius Plus Accelerators to
print to the H.P. DeskWriter without getting a "Datacomm buffer overrun"
error message on the printer.

If you have been suffering from either of these problems, you'll want to
contact your Radius dealer to find out about getting the new Accelerator
INIT version 2.8.  In addition, it will be posted in our area on CompuServe
and also on AppleLink (as usual).  If these are inconvenient for you, then
send me email and tell me that you'd like me to post it to comp.binaries.mac
in which case I'll submit it for distribution - it's not very large.  In
fact, since it's less than 3K, I could even (A) email it to interested
people, or (B) post it to comp.sys.mac.hardware if there's enough interest.

--Steve
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----