[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Question on install of Radius TPD card in SE

ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) (07/20/90)

When I opened our newly purchased Mac SE which the vendor
had installed the Radius TPD card for us, I found that
the MagicBus card (a 90 degree expansion slot extender card)
did not have any of the standoffs installed on it.  THe
purpose of these standoffs are to keep the MagicBus card
parallel to the Motherboard. I had taken the SE apart to
add more ram, and had a difficult time getting the TPD
card to work again, as its difficult to keep the MagicBus
card seated correctly in the motherboard while inserting
the TPD card.

My question is this - is there a reason why installers are
not putting in the standoffs anymore?  The installers said
it was too difficult.  Has anyone else had problems with
this - or has Radius abandoned the installation of them?

Also - having to pry apart the card guides to remove the
momma board seems to be another hassle too.

BTW, the card works great now, I am really happy with the
sharpness of the display.

--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (07/24/90)

In article <4253@turquoise.UUCP> ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) writes:
>When I opened our newly purchased Mac SE which the vendor
>had installed the Radius TPD card for us, I found that
>the MagicBus card (a 90 degree expansion slot extender card)
>did not have any of the standoffs installed on it...
>
>My question is this - is there a reason why installers are
>not putting in the standoffs anymore?  The installers said
>it was too difficult.  Has anyone else had problems with
>this - or has Radius abandoned the installation of them?

I installed a couple of TPDs this month - they came
with the standoffs, and I didn't find it too hard to
put them in.  I mean, if you know which end of the
screwdriver to hold, it's not too hard to put the
standoffs on, and I don't see how they complicate
putting the Mac back together.  Perhaps you should
consider using another shop.

Is your shop authorized by Radius?  If so, they might
like to hear your story.

(I'm not authorized by Radius.  If I do a good job
installing one of their products, it's not their
fault.)

>Also - having to pry apart the card guides to remove the
>momma board seems to be another hassle too.

Yes, but you get used to it.

--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (07/31/90)

}>

}
}Is your shop authorized by Radius?  If so, they might
}like to hear your story.

Yes, we might be.  I have been asked to find out the name of this dealer,
if you would be so kind.  We would like to find out why they are not
using the standoffs.  We _DO_ still include them, and we would like them
to be installed.  This is _especially_ important on the Accelerator SE
boards, if an FPD or TPD is going to be installed with it, and to a lesser
degree it's also important with the MagicBus board.  As Steve indicates,
it is not at all difficult to do.

}>Also - having to pry apart the card guides to remove the
}>momma board seems to be another hassle too.
}
}Yes, but you get used to it.

Yes, once you've done it a few times (like once?) it's not a big deal.
The day I started working here, I had to install my own Accelerator 25
and Two Page Display into my Mac SE.  I didn't find it hard and I had
never seen either one before (though I HAD had a Mac SE apart a few times).

Again, please send me email with the name and phone number of the dealer
you are having problems with, and I'll have someone look into it.

Steve

--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----