[comp.sys.mac.hardware] CMOS Simms for the OUTBOUND portable?

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (08/03/90)

I'm thinking of buying the Outbound portable, but I have two
questions that maybe someone can answer.

1.  One version of the machine is with an internal floppy,
and then up to 16MB of CMOS dram used as a nonvolatile
memory.  They say this is pretty nice because it is fast,
rugged, and then there is no need for an external floppy.
Question:  Where does one buy 120ns 4MB CMOS dram?

2.  Does anyone out there have experience with this machine?
How do you like it?  Or would you have been better off
with a DOS laptop?

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame
jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (08/04/90)

In article <300@news.nd.edu> jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) writes:
>I'm thinking of buying the Outbound portable, but I have two
>questions that maybe someone can answer.

You are going to wait until Apple puts actual ROMs in them,
aren't you?  After all, you've been reading MacWeek... :-)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (08/04/90)

writes:
> >I'm thinking of buying the Outbound portable, but I have two
> >questions that maybe someone can answer.
>
> You are going to wait until Apple puts actual ROMs in them,
> aren't you?  After all, you've been reading MacWeek... :-)

It turns out that I have a rapidly aging SE.  Screen flickers, keyboard
is getting flakey, etc. I thought I would simply have it reincarnated as
an Outbound.

Besides, how much do you think Apple will charge for those ROMS ... :-)

Jeff