[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Keyboard Weirdness --> An ANSWER

sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA (07/26/90)

Hiya,

    For those of you who do not remember or have not read... A little
while ago I posted an article about some strange keyboard behaviour.
Namely, if you press the following combination of keys at the same
time (or to quickly) you get garbage generated :

	u t space
	m p comma
	m minus comma

    I asked what the problem was due to.

    Well, it is the KEYBOARD, not anything else. I have isolated the
problem to the keybaord and can duplicated it on most machines (ci,
II, SE, SE/30).

    The solution... My keboard is still under AppleCare, I took it in
to our microstore, and they are replacing it. If your keyboard is not
under AppleCare, I suggest you bug Apple to do a recall and
replacement.

    I have found the problem in at least 2 keyboards, and others have
told me of the same problem. (Are you listening Apple ?)

	maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      GEnie M.SHARP5

Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.edu (Gavin Eadie) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.193016.9109@calgary.uucp> sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
writes:
>     Well, it is the KEYBOARD, not anything else. I have isolated the
> problem to the keybaord and can duplicated it on most machines (ci,
> II, SE, SE/30).

Does this mean that some keyboards exhibit the problem and some don't.

I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such
things. At first glance it seems Maurice is saying it's hardware and Apple
is saying it's software but, of course, with things like keyboards, it's a
bit hard tell which is which!

mosemann@hoss.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) (07/26/90)

In <1990Jul26.122045.2938@terminator.cc.umich.edu> Gavin_Eadie@um.cc.umich.edu (Gavin Eadie) writes:

>In article <1990Jul25.193016.9109@calgary.uucp> sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
>writes:
>>     Well, it is the KEYBOARD, not anything else. I have isolated the
>> problem to the keybaord and can duplicated it on most machines (ci,
>> II, SE, SE/30).

>Does this mean that some keyboards exhibit the problem and some don't.

>I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
>is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such
>things.

   I have experienced this problem not only with Apple's supplied
keyboards, but also with my own I purchased from another vendor.  I had my
keyboard replaced (they were kind enough to do so) because I thought it
was defective, but the problem did not go away.  I can also repeat the
errors on both types of keyboards.  I wonder if it is the keyboard driver
messing up or something strange about the ADB.

Russell
mosemann@hoss.unl.edu

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (08/01/90)

>Does this mean that some keyboards exhibit the problem and some don't.
>
>I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
>is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such
>things. At first glance it seems Maurice is saying it's hardware and Apple
>is saying it's software but, of course, with things like keyboards, it's a
>bit hard tell which is which!

I have the same problem on my Mac at work and at home.  If I type the
string ...

outgoing

the keyboard will actually type ouging or ou;oing.  In fact it just
happened!  Notice that the letter "t" is the culprit much of the time
Its strange that I CONSISTANTLY get a semi-colon supstituted for the
"t" and "g".  This indicates to me something more than a random error
or dirt in the keyboard.

According to one poster, Apple claims that the problem is due to
"software."  Yeah right.  Apple has their SEP field (somebody else's
problem) turned up full I see and it'll probably take another big
stink like the quantum hard disk fiasco to get them to upgrade the
quality of their products.

ORGANIZATION:  Advanced Decision Systems   GEOGRAPHIC: Arlington, VA
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com
SPOKEN:        Yo... John!                 PHONE:      (703) 243-1611
PROJECT:       The Conrail Locomotive/Harpsichord Fusion Program

jhood@biar.UUCP (John Hood) (08/05/90)

In article <9005@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
>>I passed this problem to Mac Technical Support and they have verified it
>>is real and submitted a bug report to whoever it is that fixes such

It's hardware.  It's a design choice; keyboard manufacturers can design
keyboards to accommodate any number of keys being held down at a time,
or they can choose to only have the keyboard work properly with some
small number of keys (usually 2) held down, which is a bit cheaper.  I
think all apple keyboards fall in the latter category.  Some PC
keyboards do, some don't.

It's a bit amusing that the tech support people didn't know this and are
treating it as a bug.

  --jh

--
John Hood, Mann Library, Cornell University
domain: jhood@albert.mannlib.cornell.edu bang: anywhere!uunet!biar!jhood