[net.columbia] Used Shuttle model and video questions?

halb@tekig5.UUCP (Hal Bates) (02/09/86)

In article <3255@hplabsb.UUCP> bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) writes:
>> Does anyone know where I can acquire a preassembled model of the
>> Shuttle with the detachable liquid fuel rocket and solid rocket
>> boosters like the one that the media uses for demonstrations, which
>> looks to be about 2 feet long.  Any info you can provide will be
>> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>> --
>
>Try your local toy store or hobby shop.  You can buy the models in all
>sizes.

Or contact Dan Rather, CBS. I hear he has a used model - cheap. Only used
for six hours serving as a prop for Danny to demonstrate what the
shuttle looks like and how the shuttle exploded. I am still not sure why.
(The model could have lived a happy life as a childs educational toy.)
I have seen the shuttle before (like the rest of the world) and was able
to SEE instantly that the shuttle exploded and that the crew was gone.
Further anouncment was unnecessary drivel. Of course, I shouldnt pick
on only Dan. His counterparts were furiously heaving also. Obviously, the
families of the astronauts suffered the most.

I have read accounts, on this network, where people who were pissed and
insulted that NASA delayed the anouncment for a few hours, wanted an
explanation as to why the delayed anouncement.

What the hell is wrong here? Why do people fixate themselfs on the TV?
It scares me to see how the power of the tube controls the public.
Wow, what incrediable power! No ruler has ever lived and experienced such
influence.

If the shuttle was lost in space and not on captured, exploding, on
video........

I wonder what the reaction would have been? The loss would
have been the same. Our people still gone. But what would the media, and
then the public response have been? I know how I would have felt.

Hal Bates