[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE/30 can't find internal disk

jmho@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Jeremy Olsen) (08/07/90)

We have a dozen Mac SE/30 2/40s and 4/40s, purchased in the UK in Mar
and Nov 89.  Within the last six months at least six different
machines have given intermittent startup problems, in that they can't
see the internal hard disk.  They always get better by themselves
through simply switching them off and on although it can take up to a
day (with suitable pauses) for this to happen.  Our supplier, who
gives good technical support, can find no problem (it has always gone
away by the time they get to examine one).  Apple apparently deny
any known problem with machines of this type and age.  Surely this
must be happening/have happened to someone else?  6 out of 12 is just
too much of a coincidence.  Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks

Jeremy Olsen        Phone: +44 31 667 1011 x6470 | University of Edinburgh
UUCP:   ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!its63b!cogsci!jmho   | Centre for Cognitive Science
ARPA:   jmho%cogsci.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  | 2 Buccleuch Place
JANET:  jmho@uk.ac.ed.cogsci                     | Edinburgh EH8 9LW Scotland
--

balg0514@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Brian Allen Levine) (08/08/90)

In article <1660@byron.ed.ac.uk> jmho@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Jeremy Olsen) writes:
>We have a dozen Mac SE/30 2/40s and 4/40s, purchased in the UK in Mar
>and Nov 89.  Within the last six months at least six different
>machines have given intermittent startup problems, in that they can't
>see the internal hard disk.  They always get better by themselves
>through simply switching them off and on although it can take up to a
>day (with suitable pauses) for this to happen.  Our supplier, who
>gives good technical support, can find no problem (it has always gone
>away by the time they get to examine one).  Apple apparently deny
>any known problem with machines of this type and age.  Surely this
>must be happening/have happened to someone else?  6 out of 12 is just
>too much of a coincidence.  Any comments gratefully received.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jeremy Olsen        Phone: +44 31 667 1011 x6470 | University of Edinburgh
>UUCP:   ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!its63b!cogsci!jmho   | Centre for Cognitive Science
>ARPA:   jmho%cogsci.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  | 2 Buccleuch Place
>JANET:  jmho@uk.ac.ed.cogsci                     | Edinburgh EH8 9LW Scotland
>--

The symptoms you have described suggest that you may be experiencing the
lubrication problem that has plagued so many Apple 40MB (and I think
80MB) drives.  I'm surprised your dealer hasn't mentioned this.  I
believe Apple is still repairing or replacing these drives.  If you
haven't done so already, you might ask your dealer if this could be your
problem.

Of course, Macs purchased (and likely manufactured) in your part of
the world may never have been subject to this particular problem.  It's
probably worth asking about though!
* Brian A. Levine                UIUCnet:  brianlev@uiuc.edu	     *
*                               Internet:  balg0514@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu *