[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Advice sought for a laptop companion to a Mac II

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (08/07/90)

I have a IIci to handle most of my work and would like to acquire a *small*
laptop to handle memos and letters while I commute, and log-on and check my
e-mail when I travel.  Important features would include a good display/keyboard
good autonomy; light and thin; maybe a hard drive in order not to have to fool
around with floppies; an easy way to upload/download to/from a Mac.  I have
noticed the Toshiba 1000HB.  Is it any good?  Anything significantly better
in terms of quality/price ratio (again, I am not interested in a 386 portable
laptop; basic features in a reliable and ergonomic machine should satisfy me)

Thanks,  Stephane

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/07/90)

My advice: get the lightest thing you can afford that will let you use
the applications you want to use on the laptop.  For me, that means
Word and Excel and Kermit.  I have a Toshiba 1200 with two 720k
floppies, 2Mb of RAM that can be used as a RAM disk (and is powered
when the machine is off, so it's non-volitile storage.  The file types
are compatable with the Mac applications.  Substitute Word Perfect or
whatever, but try to use the same appications on both platforms.

/jordan

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (08/08/90)

In article <1414@s5.Morgan.COM> jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) writes:
> My advice: get the lightest thing you can afford that will let you use
> the applications you want to use on the laptop.  For me, that means
> Word and Excel and Kermit.  I have a Toshiba 1200 with two 720k
> floppies, 2Mb of RAM that can be used as a RAM disk (and is powered ..

This is good advice, but I ran into a simple problem.

I use Microsoft Works for a lot of simple memo writing, student grades, etc.
But I can't seem to transfer files from the laptop (Zenith Minisport HD) to
the Mac via Apple File Exchange.  What is the secret?

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/09/90)

Jeffrey C. Kantor <jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu> writes:

	This is good advice, but I ran into a simple problem.

	I use Microsoft Works for a lot of simple memo writing, student
	grades, etc.  But I can't seem to transfer files from the
	laptop (Zenith Minisport HD) to the Mac via Apple File
	Exchange.  What is the secret?

Hmmm.  I don't use Works, but here's what I have to do for Word.  Your
mileage may vary.

1) On the laptop, save the file to a 3-1/2" floppy.
2) Launch AFE
3) Insert the PC Disk into the Mac
4) Copy (using the default translation) the file to the Mac
5) Launch Mac Word
6) Open the file -- Mac Word know what PC Word looks like.

Going the other way, I have to save the Mac file *as a PC format file*
before launching AFE ...  I suppose the other way to do it is to save
in RFT format before switching media, but i've never tried it.

Good luck!

/jordan