[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIfx SIMMs

aclin@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Charissa S. Aclin) (08/09/90)

I am interested in finding out if anyone on the net is familiar
with installing 4MB SIMMs in a IIfx. I have been told that you
must install them in pairs (ex. two 4MB SIMMs and six 1MB SIMMs).
I would be interested in hearing any comments on this matter.
Please e-mail me at aclin@blackjack.dt.navy.mil and I will post
if response is significant. Thanks in advance!

C. Aclin

carlo@eagle.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (08/10/90)

In article <aclin.650198448@blackjack> aclin@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Charissa S. Aclin) writes:
>I am interested in finding out if anyone on the net is familiar
>with installing 4MB SIMMs in a IIfx. I have been told that you
>must install them in pairs (ex. two 4MB SIMMs and six 1MB SIMMs).

Is this true? If so can you install just 2 4Mb SIMMs in all Macs
(specifically a IIci) and mix them with other denominations? I was
under the impression that mixing memory densities was a no-no, but
I guess there has not been much discussion about 4 Mb SIMMs.
Carlo.

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (08/12/90)

In article <8878@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:

> Is this true? If so can you install just 2 4Mb SIMMs in all Macs
> (specifically a IIci) and mix them with other denominations? I was
> under the impression that mixing memory densities was a no-no, but
> I guess there has not been much discussion about 4 Mb SIMMs.

It's not true.  Mixing SIMM sizes within a bank won't work.  All Macs
with 32-bit bus structures (II family, and SE/030) require that SIMMs be
installed in sets of four, with all four in each set being of the same
size.

The Plus and SE do allow SIMMs to be installed in sets of two.