[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Want to know lowest prices on Mac IIfx upgrade

ngo@proline.harvard.EDU (Tom Ngo) (08/09/90)

As I understand it, to turn a Mac II into a Mac IIfx requires:

    1) Logic board upgrade
    2) Superdrive and controller
    3) fx SIMMs

The Chip Merchant seems to supply item 3 at the most competitive
prices:  $55 for 1Mb and $250 for 4Mb.  What are some competitive
prices for the first two items?

Please reply via email to me; I will summarize for the net.  In your
replies, please specify name, address and phone number of the
supplier, as well as whether the price includes any credit for the old
hardware.

Thanks in advance.

  Tom Ngo
  ngo@harvard.harvard.edu
  617/495-1768 lab number, leave message
  I speak for myself only.

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/09/90)

Tom Ngo <ngo@proline.harvard.EDU> writes:

	As I understand it, to turn a Mac II into a Mac IIfx requires:

	    2) Superdrive and controller

Is this true?  Won't the SWIM chip be on the fx logic board that you
would get when you turn in your II?  Has anyone done this yet?

/jordan

ngo@tyrosine.harvard.EDU (Tom Ngo) (08/10/90)

Jordan, good point!  My hunch is that you're right, although I don't
know anyone who has done this.

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (08/13/90)

>In article <1428@s5.Morgan.COM>, jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) writes:
> > Tom Ngo <ngo@proline.harvard.EDU> writes:
> >
> > 	As I understand it, to turn a Mac II into a Mac IIfx requires:
> >
> > 	    2) Superdrive and controller
> >
> > Is this true?  Won't the SWIM chip be on the fx logic board that you
> > would get when you turn in your II?  Has anyone done this yet?

The IIfx logic board that you get when you upgrade has a SWIM chip on it.  This
means that it can drive two 800K or 1.44mb floppy drives.  Note that when you
upgrade, the dealer will only swap logic boards; the upgrade doesn't  include
a swap of your 800K drive for a 1.44mb drive, or new memory (the IIfx uses
different SIMMs, so you'll need to buy completely new SIMMs).

So remember that you'll also need to include into upgrade cost possibly a
1.44mb drive (if you want one--Apple retail is $499, I've seen the same Sony
drives at Fry's, a local electronics store, for $199) and memory (last prices
I've seen quoted on the net are $65 (Chip Merchant) and probably double that
for "official" Apple parts).  Remember, though, if you install new parts,
your warranty will be voided.  I'm trying to find out if you have a dealer
install new parts (3rd party), if your warranty will still be voided.

Mark
--
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different