[comp.sys.mac.hardware] CMS Hard Drive Question/Help

ejm@sppy00.UUCP (Eric Miller) (08/14/90)

I currently have a MacPlus with 1mb RAM and a CMS 20mb external hard drive.
About once a week I can't boot the hard drive, I turn the system on and
I receive that ever-so-annoying question mark prompt.  The drive is a little
over a year old, but it's been used rather frequently.  This has been occuring
for about 2 months, but not increasing in frequency.  Someone on the net
mentioned a CMS formatting problem and a low-level formatter that did
the trick.  I've never heard of that before, but I'm willing to try anything.
Anybody have similiar problems with CMS hard drives?  Is this formatting
problem for real or is my CMS about had it? (Or both!)

Any insight or advice is appriciated in advance...

--
Eric J. Miller	               The computer can't tell you the emotional story.
			       It can give you the exact mathematical design,

miller@rsmas.miami.edu (08/14/90)

In article <918@sppy00.UUCP>, ejm@sppy00.UUCP (Eric Miller) writes:
> I currently have a MacPlus with 1mb RAM and a CMS 20mb external hard drive.
> About once a week I can't boot the hard drive, I turn the system on and
> I receive that ever-so-annoying question mark prompt.  The drive is a little
> over a year old, but it's been used rather frequently.  This has been occuring
> for about 2 months, but not increasing in frequency.  Someone on the net
> mentioned a CMS formatting problem and a low-level formatter that did
> the trick.  I've never heard of that before, but I'm willing to try anything.
> Anybody have similiar problems with CMS hard drives?  Is this formatting
> problem for real or is my CMS about had it? (Or both!)

I have had the same experience with a CMS 30 megger which is 1.5 years old but
which has seen less than frequent use. So far it only happens occasionally and
the problem seems to "cure" itself after a short time. Is my drive headed for
(what I would consider VERY) premature death???

> Any insight or advice is appriciated in advance...

Likewise. How about some comment from CMS folks?????

> --
> Eric J. Miller	               The computer can't tell you the emotional story.
> 			       It can give you the exact mathematical design,
> miller-e@cis.ohio-state.edu    but what's missing is the eyebrows...
> ejm@sppy00.UUCP		       -Frank Zappa
Jerry L. Miller         INTERNET:  miller@rsmas.miami.edu
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami
Remember: "It's later now than it's ever been; however, vg'f zber yvxr
           vg vf abj guna vg unf rire orra orsber."

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (08/14/90)

In article <918@sppy00.UUCP> ejm@sppy00.UUCP (Eric Miller) writes:
#
#I currently have a MacPlus with 1mb RAM and a CMS 20mb external hard drive.
#About once a week I can't boot the hard drive, I turn the system on and
#I receive that ever-so-annoying question mark prompt.

I think the problem lies in the fact that the CMS drives have a power supply
which bounces between ~4.5 Volt and 5.2 Volt. When the voltage drops under
5.0 Volt, the drive won't boot and the Mac shows the ?-icon.
The solution is either take your drive to the shop where you bought it and
ask a technician to turn up the voltage to >5.2 Volt, or do it yourself if
you can use a Voltmeter (this may void your warranty!).

I run a lab with ~150 CMS drives and we usually check all power supplies before
giving the drive out to the user. Atfter this short operation (+/- 5 mins.)
we allmost never see this problem recur.

--kees
/* keeshu@nikhefk.uucp or {..!uunet.uu.net}!mcsun!hp4nl!nikhefk!keeshu        */
/* The National Institute for Nuclear Physics and High-Energy Physics	      */
/* P.O.Box 4395, 1009 AJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands, phone:+31205920124	      */
/* Disregarding the metaphysical aspects of Schrodinger's cats, I must protest*/
/* at the use of (possibly live) animals for experiments such as these. I urge*/
/* readers to boycott whatever product this research is leading to.	      */