[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II Advice

qureshi@ocf.berkeley.edu (Mohammad Qureshi) (08/15/90)

First, Thank you to everyone who helped with my last posting about SE/30
questions.

Now to this posting. I have recently seen some ads for the sale of Mac II
machines.

My questions are
	1) How long ago did apple stop making this model.
	2) Is it worth getting or should I hold out for a newer model.

I'm really trying to figure what course to take. My budget is limited to
$3000 and I would like to get as much machine for my system as possible.
I currently have a 386 system and want to switch to the Mac Environment.

Please e-mail response. Thank you in advance.
Mohammad Qureshi    qureshi@sequent.berkeley.edu or qureshi@tornado.berkeley.edu
Institute of Transportation studies

In article <1990Aug14.222440.3933@agate.berkeley.edu> qureshi@ocf.berkeley.edu (Mohammad Qureshi) writes:

>First, Thank you to everyone who helped with my last posting about SE/30
>questions.
>
>Now to this posting. I have recently seen some ads for the sale of Mac II
>machines.
>
>My questions are
>	1) How long ago did apple stop making this model.
>	2) Is it worth getting or should I hold out for a newer model.
>
>I'm really trying to figure what course to take. My budget is limited to
>$3000 and I would like to get as much machine for my system as possible.
>I currently have a 386 system and want to switch to the Mac Environment.

1) They stopped making it shortly after the introduction of the IIx-- I don't
   know when that was

2) If you are planning on getting a machine like a II, IIx, or IIcx (16 MHZ
machines w/Nubus), and the II plus a PMMU (Motorola 68851) is cheaper than the
IIx or IIcx, then the II is probably a good choice.  If you need more speed
than that, you will have to go for a IIci or IIfx.  (But note that the II
can be upgraded to the IIfx, though I'm not sure if the program is still
going on).  If you need a 1.44M drive, the II is probably not a good choice,
as you would have to get an upgrade.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?