[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Help! Sad Mac code?

samx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (08/16/90)

Help! My hard disk decided to fry yesterday- an occurence I've been expecting
for some time now.  But what has me worried is that when the disk is connected
and I try to boot the Mac, I get the "sad mac" face with the error code
"000000F"
"000000A"    Does anyone know what this error code means?  All I know is that
it signifies some hardware error, but I surely hope the problem is not in my
mac.  With the disk unconnected, the Mac will boot fine off a floppy.
Any information or comments would be most welcome!

In article <5075.26c95f65@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> samx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Help! My hard disk decided to fry yesterday- an occurence I've been expecting
>for some time now.  But what has me worried is that when the disk is connected
>and I try to boot the Mac, I get the "sad mac" face with the error code
>"000000F"
>"000000A"    Does anyone know what this error code means?  All I know is that
>it signifies some hardware error, but I surely hope the problem is not in my
>mac.  With the disk unconnected, the Mac will boot fine off a floppy.
>Any information or comments would be most welcome!

What is probably happening is that the mac is trying to execute the corrupt
driver code contained on the drive-- since the code is corrupt, it crashes.
It probably isn't anything to worry about as far as your mac goes.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (08/16/90)

In article <5075.26c95f65@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> samx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Help! My hard disk decided to fry yesterday- an occurence I've been expecting
>for some time now.  But what has me worried is that when the disk is connected
>and I try to boot the Mac, I get the "sad mac" face with the error code
>"000000F"
>"000000A"    Does anyone know what this error code means?  All I know is that
>it signifies some hardware error, but I surely hope the problem is not in my
>mac.  With the disk unconnected, the Mac will boot fine off a floppy.
>Any information or comments would be most welcome!

I had the same problem a little while back with the 80Mg internal drive
in an SE/30.  The only way I could get it to work was to boot up the
mac with a floppy, and the power cable to the hard disk disconencted.
Once the mac had booted, I plugged in the hard drive power cable and ran
SilverLining.  All I had to do to fix it was re-install the SilverLining
drivers.

Tom
--
Tom Johnson      UCLA Computer Science Department
			3413 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles CA 90024 (213)825-6952