[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 256K SIMMS

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (10/27/89)

Soon I will upgrade my Mac to 2.5 megs.  After I do that, i will have two
256K SIMMS that I dont need. What can i do with them? Is it worth it to try
to sell them along with everyone else in the world, or can they be put to
a good use in either a Laserwriter or an old Macintosh?

Thanks in advance!                                 -- Chris

 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Red Ryder Host

kerry@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kerry Stevenson) (08/13/90)

I currently have a MacII with 2 meg installed (8*256K SIMMs).  Although this
amount of memory is sufficient to run most things, there are quite a few
applications appearing which I cannot run, and this will get worse in the
future.  As luck would have it, I have another megabyte of 256K SIMMs in a
box on the shelf that I cannot use since all 8 SIMM slots are occupied.  Is
there a means by which the extra 256K SIMMS could be used?  I'm thinking of
some sort of carrier board which could perhaps plug in and supply extra
256K slots.  What are the implications of having an odd memory size, such
as 3Meg?  It would seem to me that there is a large amount of 256K SIMMS
out there which could be used cheaply in this manner, if there were a way.
Should I not even consider this upgrade option and merely acquire fresh 1Mb
SIMMs?

chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) (08/16/90)

I would use the 256K SIMMS for bookmarks (kinda lumpy though).  1Mb
SIMMS are cheap now.  You need 120ns SIMMs for about $79 each.

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (08/18/90)

$79 for 120nS 1Mbyte SIMMs. Gasp.

80nS 1M SIMMs are goinf for nearer to $50 these days.

Remeber you need to buy four -- so thats $120 saved :-)