[comp.sys.mac.hardware] NTSC -> Apple RGB?

akiyama@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Hiroshi Akiyama) (08/17/90)

Does anybody know if there is anything takes NTSC/VIDEO signal and convert it
to Apple RGB, so I can watch TV program on the apple RGB monitor?  I'm not
looking for anything complicated such as digitizers.  All I want to do is to
use apple's RGB monitor as a video monitor.

Thanx in advance.

In article <38209@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> akiyama@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Hiroshi Akiyama) writes:
>Does anybody know if there is anything takes NTSC/VIDEO signal and convert it
>to Apple RGB, so I can watch TV program on the apple RGB monitor?  I'm not
>looking for anything complicated such as digitizers.  All I want to do is to
>use apple's RGB monitor as a video monitor.

Unless you really are pressed for space, it will probably be cheaper to get
a separate TV.  Once you get through with a tuner and converter (and I don't
know of one), you are talking real money.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (08/18/90)

akiyama@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Hiroshi Akiyama) writes:

>Does anybody know if there is anything takes NTSC/VIDEO signal and convert it
>to Apple RGB, so I can watch TV program on the apple RGB monitor?  I'm not
>looking for anything complicated such as digitizers.  All I want to do is to
>use apple's RGB monitor as a video monitor.

While I don't know of any products that will directly adapt NTSC for display
on an Apple RGB monitor, there are several products that will let you bring
NTSC into a Macintosh and in turn display it on the Apple RGB.  For example,
if you want to display it in a moveable window, there is the Aaps MicroTV,
Aaps DigiVideo, RasterOps (I think) 364 board, Mass Micro ColorSpace board,
and others, including the newly released RadiusTV system.  Note that some
products will actually drive the Apple display in addition to accepting the
NTSC video input, while other boards will just bring video in and send it
across the Nubus to any display board you might have installed.  Prices for
this sort of thing start at about $395 (for the low end Aaps board) to $2795
for the RadiusTV System.  Of course, as is usually the case, you get what you
pay for.  If you just want to watch TV, it might indeed be better to buy a
small TV set to sit NEXT to your Apple RGB Display.

--Steve
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----

awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (08/18/90)

In article <1990Aug17.143412.8167@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>Unless you really are pressed for space, it will probably be cheaper to get
>a separate TV.  Once you get through with a tuner and converter (and I don't
>know of one), you are talking real money.

Well, if you already have a VCR, that should take care of the tuner requirement.
Aaps makes a card you can put in a Mac II that gives you a greyscale display
in a window.  I think it does 256 greys in a 90,000 pixel window.

- Allen