[comp.sys.mac.hardware] How long can a PhoneNet network be?

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (08/18/90)

What's the maximum end-to-end distance a PhoneNet network can be,
and what factors does this length depend on?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (08/18/90)

In article <2949@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>What's the maximum end-to-end distance a PhoneNet network can be,
>and what factors does this length depend on?

(This is from memory.)  The total bus length limit is around 3000 feet, but
this assumes a particular wire gauge that I don't recall.  You might just go
buy one connector kit and read their manual.  It is a pretty good intro to
Mac networking and PhoneNet connector use.

One thing I would definitely recommend is that you know exactly where your
wiring goes when you set your network up.  Some older buildings are not wired
so that you can use existing phone cabling to connect the network.

You can extended the total length of your network with repeaters and
starcontrollers.  Lots of things cut down on the total length of the network.
Using LocalTalk connectors, mixing wire types, extended runs with modular wire
(the kind you use to hook the phone to the wall jack.)

- Allen

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (08/19/90)

In article <36336@ut-emx.UUCP> awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:
>In article <2949@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>>What's the maximum end-to-end distance a PhoneNet network can be,
>>and what factors does this length depend on?
>
>(This is from memory.)  The total bus length limit is around 3000 feet, but
>this assumes a particular wire gauge that I don't recall.  You might just go
>buy one connector kit and read their manual.  It is a pretty good intro to
>Mac networking and PhoneNet connector use.

The Farallon PhoneNET Connector User's Guide is one of the finest and
most useful pieces of technical writing I've ever seen, bar none.

Their "conservative guidelines" for normal LocalTalk speeds are as
follows:

Topology	22 gauge	24 gauge	26 gauge	Max # Nodes

daisy chain	n/a		n/a		1800 ft		24

backbone	4500 ft		3000 ft		1800 ft		48

3-branch
passive star	1500 ft		1000 ft		600 ft		16
(each branch)

4-branch
passive star	1125 ft		750 ft		450 ft		12
(each branch)