[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 1.44 Meg Drive Problem Cause etc

ahhills@watmath.waterloo.edu (Arthur Hills) (08/02/90)

There has been  discussions on the net about the hardware problems with the
1.44 Meg floppy disk drives. I am the hardware supervisor of one lab which
contains 50 SE'30 all with this drive.

	We have been noticing the same problems as every one else on the net.
Frequently the floppies that are in these drives would no longer boot the
systems.  They could not be formatted on a apple system. However they could be
formatted on an 386 clone system.Usually between 1 and 8 different bad blocks
would be found.

	At the start of term in January I decided to start with fresh disks in
all of the machines. I took the floppies and started to look at them without
reformatting them. After checking for bad blocks with the "SUM Tuneup" software,
I found that there was a very interesting problem. The same blocks were showing
up as bad on a number of different disks and quite often if more than one block was found to be bad the separation of the bad blocks was a multiple of 36. This was  very unique.

	I contacted the Apple Technical Response Group in Toronto Canada as well
as the floppy disk manufacture. After much discussion and sending disks to
both of these facilities I finally received a verbal response from Apple and a
written response from Kao Didak the manufacturer of the floppies. Apple informed
me that there 2 different types of floppy drives were shipped in their products.
An early version from Sony with a GREEN board as the controller and a later
version with a BLUE board also from Sony. The early version did not have a
phase-lock-loop circuit to regulate the speed of the floppy drive. The BLUE
board unit has this circuit.

Quoting a letter from Kao Didak
 " A Phase Lock Loop is an electronic control system which is used to
maintain a specific drive speed. The system automatically compensates for load
variations thereby guaranteeing a specific rotational speed within (1%). A
drive with no such circuitry could have a rotational speed which varied
considerably.

	Will drive speed affect writing/reading? Yes if this drive speed was
varying more that 1% when writing, we would experience problems with bit
placement. Later when we go back to read the same portion of the disk track,
the bit would appear to have shifted. This in turn could cause CRC (Cyclic
Redundancy Check) errors."

 	The solution has been to replace all the floppy drives in my
machines with the BLUE board controller.

lius@utopia.rutgers.edu (Steve Liu) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug1.190114.600@watmath.waterloo.edu>, ahhills@watmath.waterloo.edu (Arthur Hills) writes:

> There has been  discussions on the net about the hardware problems with the
> 1.44 Meg floppy disk drives. I am the hardware supervisor of one lab which
> contains 50 SE'30 all with this drive.

I must have missed the previous discussion, but it's a topic I'm quite
interested in, having attempted to format 100 disks, 40 of which
formatted correctly, and 2 of which lasted more than one month without
giving me a media error somewhere along the line (usually due to
trying to re-format).

>  	The solution has been to replace all the floppy drives in my
> machines with the BLUE board controller.

Has this problem/solution been confirmed "officially"?  If so, is
there an upgrade policy, vis a vis the defective HD40?  I told my
dealer about the problem when I bought my machine two years ago; he
told me there was no problem with the drive.  I would like to start
using the FDHD's capabilities, but have been afraid to trust it with
important data as of late.

maarten@fwi.uva.nl (Maarten Carels) (08/20/90)

ahhills@watmath.waterloo.edu (Arthur Hills) writes:

>  There has been  discussions on the net about the hardware problems with the
>  1.44 Meg floppy disk drives. I am the hardware supervisor of one lab which
>  contains 50 SE'30 all with this drive.

>   	The solution has been to replace all the floppy drives in my
>  machines with the BLUE board controller.

I looked into the drive inside my cx. I would call the colour of the board
of the floppy blueish green (or greenish blue)... Is there any other way to
recognize the drives (such as partnumbers, serial numbers being greater than
some value, ...)?

Is there any clue of the date Apple started using the newer (BLUE) devices.
Is there a replacement program?
Could someone from Apple shine a light on this ?

--maarten
--
In real life:	Maarten Carels
		Computer Science Department