[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HP DeskWriter question

bball@hubbell.ucr.edu (alvaro monge) (08/13/90)

I had a few questions about the HP DeskWriter:

		1 -- Is it an Inkjet printer, or what?

		2 -- Does it come with its own driver?
			a. if yes, how good is it (i.e. compatibility)
			b. if no, then how do I get my hands on a driver

		3 -- How good is this printer, since this is one printer I can
			actually afford that seems comparable to a laser printer (is it??)

		4 -- Can any of you that use this printer tell me how you like it, or
			dislike it.

		5 -- What is the "BEST" price that I can get it for and where and also
			what is the guarantee on the printer (year, 2 ???)

Thanks in advance.

Al   (bball@ucrmath.ucr.edu)

meldal@bach.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (08/13/90)

I have just researched the DeskWriter a bit, and can answer some of
the questions posted:

In article <8120@ucrmath.ucr.edu> bball@hubbell.ucr.edu (alvaro monge) writes:

>		1 -- Is it an Inkjet printer, or what?

It is.

>		2 -- Does it come with its own driver?
>			a. if yes, how good is it (i.e. compatibility)

It comes with its own driver.

>		3 -- How good is this printer, since this is one printer I can
>			actually afford that seems comparable to a
>			laser printer (is it??)

I have not purchased one yet (I will though, see below), but a few
hours of testing one leads me to the conclusion that it is worth its
price to me. To get an acceptable version, I will add Adobe Type
manager, the Adobe Plus Pack of fonts and the SuperLaserSpool software
to my configuration. The ATM stuff in order to get reasonable font
compatibility with postscript output, the spooler in order to (you
guessed it) spool. The Apple supplied backgrounder does not work with
the DeskWriter. In that configuration it is a memory hog, which can be
alleviated with either lots of real memory (more than two MBytes seem
necessary) or by using Virtual (the latter will slow things down a
bit, I guess).

The output is quite good looking, at least for text and PICT graphics.
Postscript is a no-no, of course (unless you buy a RIP like Freedom of
the Press).  The ink is watersoluble, and may cause the paper to warp
a bit wherever you have areas of solid black (because of the water).

The output in "faster" mode (150 dpi) is also quite acceptable.

It is not fast, but fast enough - 1 ppm claimed in "best" mode, 2
ppm in "faster" mode.

The duty cycle of the printer is a claimed 60 000 pages, with 25 pages
per day max on the average and an absolute maximum of 50 pages in any
one day.

It has a separate external power supply, and the move to a different
power situation (e.g. I shall move to Europe soon) entails only the
purchase of another little power box (Fry's claims to price them at
ca. $60).

>		5 -- What is the "BEST" price that I can get it for?

Things are in transition. HP has just announced a $200 price cut, and
I think this is for a new model which does not have the AppleTalk
interface - i.e. the cheaper model runs off the modem or printer port
and is usable for a single machine only. All mail order companies that
I have ckecked are still selling the previous model, at the old price
(the best being $829, I seem to recall). The only place I know of
which carries the new model right now is ComputerWare in Palo Alto, CA
(I can dig up their phone number if you need it - drop me a note
tomorrow). They're selling it for $695 + shipping (plus tax if you
live in California). I shall probably wait till the mail order
companies get on-line (because of the tax).

The warranty was a number of years, but I forget...

Best regards,

Sigurd--
Hard mail:
 ERL 456              | Internet:  meldal@anna.stanford.edu
 Computer Systems Lab.|
 Stanford University  | BitNet: meldal%anna.stanford.edu@forsythe.bitnet
 Stanford CA 94305    | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!anna!meldal
 USA                  |

phone: +1 415 723 6027
fax:   +1 415 725 7398

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (08/13/90)

In article <8120@ucrmath.ucr.edu>, bball@hubbell.ucr.edu (alvaro monge) writes:
>I had a few questions about the HP DeskWriter:
>		1 -- Is it an Inkjet printer, or what?
	Good question.  The specs in the manual say it's a "thermal inkjet"
printer.  However, it cautions you against using paper designed for thermal
or inkjet printers.  Go figure.

>		2 -- Does it come with its own driver?
	Yup.  Works great.

>		3 -- How good is this printer, since this is one printer I can
	I find it has what I'll call "near-laser quality."  By this, I mean
that while the resolution is the same, the quality isn't quite as good as
most laser printers.  I suspect the pixels are slightly larger than those
on a laser printer, due to the paper absorbing the ink.

>		4 -- Can any of you that use this printer tell me how you like it, or
>			dislike it.
	See #2 above.

>		5 -- What is the "BEST" price that I can get it for and where and also
>			what is the guarantee on the printer (year, 2 ???)
	I got mine, including everything I needed to get up and running,
for $650.  This was, however, at a university discount price, so you might
not be able to get that price.  I don't remember how long the warranty is.

  John Price                   | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (08/13/90)

In article <0093B195.04E49880@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>In article <8120@ucrmath.ucr.edu>, bball@hubbell.ucr.edu (alvaro monge) writes:
>>I had a few questions about the HP DeskWriter:
>>		1 -- Is it an Inkjet printer, or what?
>	Good question.  The specs in the manual say it's a "thermal inkjet"
>printer.  However, it cautions you against using paper designed for thermal
>or inkjet printers.  Go figure.

I belive the term "thermal inkjet" means that the print-head uses heat to force
the ink out of the ink well and onto the paper.  A thermal printer uses heat
to create the markings on the pages, not ink, and special paper is required
that will respond to this head.

>>		3 -- How good is this printer, since this is one printer I can
>	I find it has what I'll call "near-laser quality."  By this, I mean
>that while the resolution is the same, the quality isn't quite as good as
>most laser printers.  I suspect the pixels are slightly larger than those
>on a laser printer, due to the paper absorbing the ink.

I have a DeskJet, not a DeskWriter, although the printer is almost identical.
I agree that the print doesn't look exactly like a laser printer, I don't know
if I'd go so far as to degrade it down to "near-letter quality."  With good
quality paper, and ATM, this printer can _ery_ good quality that looks great.
But the quality of the print has to do in large part to the paper you use.
I've noticed that on some papers, the ink will "run" more, causing the edges
to be less distinct.  Good paper can really help, if not solve, this problem.

This, and the fact that it is a lot cheaper than a laser printer, is the reason
I'd recomend one.

--
--Lance M. Orner             |  Without the software to run the
California St. Univ., Chico  |  hardware, you get _nowhere_!

In article <1990Aug13.054832.26261@csuchico.edu>, lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) writes:
>In article <0093B195.04E49880@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>>>		3 -- How good is this printer, since this is one printer I can
>>	I find it has what I'll call "near-laser quality."  By this, I mean
                                           ^^^^^

>I have a DeskJet, not a DeskWriter, although the printer is almost identical.
>I agree that the print doesn't look exactly like a laser printer, I don't know
>if I'd go so far as to degrade it down to "near-letter quality."
                                                 ^^^^^^
	Neither would I.  That's why I didn't.

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (08/13/90)

> Things are in transition. HP has just announced a $200 price cut, and
> I think this is for a new model which does not have the AppleTalk
> interface - i.e. the cheaper model runs off the modem or printer port
> and is usable for a single machine only. ...

The DeskWriter with AppleTalk has replaced the serial only DeskWriter.
The price reduction was regarding the DeskWriter with Appletalk (also
does serial of course), which now has a suggested list of $995.  Street
prices should fall corresponding to this price reduction.  I would expect
below $700 street prices to be common.  The Warrantee on DeskWriter is
1 year.

The above paragraph is fact, now I will enter personal opinion mode:
Personally, I wouldn't buy ATM for use with the DeskWriter.  The outline
fonts that come with the DeskWriter driver are fine, and with system 7
coming up, and its built in support for outline fonts, I wouldn't spend
any extra money for an interim solution (personal opinion of course).
Now if you have no intention of upgrading to system 7, or if you already have
access to Adobe fonts, or for some reason absolutely need font outlines
identical to PostScript, these may be reasons for getting ATM.  But
in general, I would just use the standard fonts that come with the
DeskWriter until all these "font wars" settle out.  If you have a couple
hundred extra dollars, you might do better spending it on extra RAM
so you can run system 7 and its outline fonts, rather than buying
fonts in what may be an interim solution.  ATM is a fine product,
giving outline font capabilities to printers that otherwise would
have no such support.  But outline fonts come "for free" with the
DeskWriter so I would save my money and wait for system 7.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.hp.com

anjrs1@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (SWENSEN JESSE R) (08/14/90)

In article <8120@ucrmath.ucr.edu>, bball@hubbell.ucr.edu (alvaro monge) writes...

>I had a few questions about the HP DeskWriter:
>
>		1 -- Is it an Inkjet printer, or what?

Yes, the Deskwriter is an Inkjet printer.

>		2 -- Does it come with its own driver?
>			a. if yes, how good is it (i.e. compatibility)
>			b. if no, then how do I get my hands on a driver

Yes.  The driver is one of the best I have seen.  It is a easy to use as a
LaserWriter or ImageWriter driver.  I have not found any thing incompatible.

>		3 -- How good is this printer, since this is one printer I can
>			actually afford that seems comparable to a laser
>                       printer (is it??)

For the price, it can't be beat.  It is NOT as good as a laser (the water
soluble ink makes the charaters blead on the edges.) but only if you really
look hard.

>		4 -- Can any of you that use this printer tell me how you
>                       like it, or dislike it.

I really, really like it.  Having worked for a dealer (in a former life) and
trying to get third party printers to work, this one is a breeze.  Just plug it
in and go.  I even comes with outline fonts (times, helvetica, courier and
symbol).  I use it with Adobe Type Manager on an SE/30.  Any adobe font prints
at 300dpi.

>		5 -- What is the "BEST" price that I can get it for and where and also
>			what is the guarantee on the printer (year, 2 ???)

I recieved an ad {"Offer limited to Schools, Colleges and Universities(including
staff and faculty)"} from
			Cedar Computer Center, Inc.
			12158 Lackland Rd, Suite J
			St. Louis, MO. 63146
			(314) 469-5400

The price the quote is $560 with a 3 year warranty. (offer valid till 8/31/90).
This is the best price I have seen....... Good luck!

Jesse Swensen

Standard disclaimers apply.  Also, I am not associated or have any connection
with Ceder Computer Center, Inc.

Drako@cup.portal.com (Chris Del Grande) (08/14/90)

In article 14137.3.2048.4, lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) writes regarding
the HP DeskWriter:
>But the quality of the print has to do in large part to the paper you use.
>I've noticed that on some papers, the ink will "run" more, causing the edges
>to be less distinct.  Good paper can really help, if not solve, this problem

        I just purchased a DeskWriter yesterday, and so far I am very
impressed. In order to maximize output clarity I would be interested in
learning just what the best type of paper for use with this printer is.
Has anybody done adequate to extensive testing and found a suitable paper?
I purchased photocopier paper, bond quality, and it seems to work great,
but any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks!

 Drako@cup.portal.com
_Chris Del Grande___________________________________________________________

powsner@csb1.nlm.nih.gov (Seth M Powsner) (08/15/90)

I'll  put in  a vote for Neenah Bond 25% Cotton Fiber White Cockle Finish
#02700 (Sub 20 Basis 10M M Weight).  My boss stumbled on it by accident
for his DeskJet. I believe it's make by Kimberly Clark Corp of
Neehah, WI 54956. From our experience it bleeds so little that you can
distinguish every dot.

(Disclaimer-- totally a personal opinion; no financial interest at stake)

Seth Powsner  powsner@qm.ycc.yale.edu
              powsner@yalemed.bitnet

kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (08/15/90)

In article <32786@cup.portal.com> Drako@cup.portal.com (Chris Del Grande) writes:
>In article 14137.3.2048.4, lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) writes regarding
>the HP DeskWriter:
>>But the quality of the print has to do in large part to the paper you use.
>>I've noticed that on some papers, the ink will "run" more, causing the edges
>>to be less distinct.  Good paper can really help, if not solve, this problem
>        I just purchased a DeskWriter yesterday, and so far I am very
>impressed. In order to maximize output clarity I would be interested in
>learning just what the best type of paper for use with this printer is.
>Has anybody done adequate to extensive testing and found a suitable paper?
>I purchased photocopier paper, bond quality, and it seems to work great,
>but any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks!

	I've had several brands of paper in my DeskJet (which uses the
same ink cartridges as the DeskWriter) and here are some notes:

	1.)  Don't get anything intended specifically for copiers or
laser printers, because these papers are often coated with something
(wax?) that the ink won't soak into.  The same goes for "inkjet" paper.

	2.)  Price isn't really correlated to print quality.

	The papers that I like the best are all in the "standard office
typing paper" category--they typically are marked something like "20 lb.
bond paper, for typing, plain paper copiers, etc."  Some of my favorites
are:  Hammermill 20lb. Bond,  Boise Cascade,  Hammermill Tidal DP, and
Ampad Colorgraphic (the Ampad prints the sharpest.)  Strathmore Legacy
turned out to be a bad choice because it "spiders" a lot for some
reason.

	I suggest that when you buy paper, do printer tests (front of
one sheet and back of another, be sure to label them--the package will
usually claim one side of the paper to be the "front", some papers seem
to work better on one side or the other in the DeskJet but not all) and
then save them along with the label from your package of paper.  I have
a folder full of these samples and it makes a handy reference.

	The papers I liked above usually go for $4-$7 in discount office
supplies stores around here (Upstate New York) or $5-$15 in and around
Boston--when I find a brand I like for a reasonable price I buy several
reams.

	Hope these suggestions/opinions come in handy...

--
james "kibo" parry, 138 birch lane, scotia, ny 12302 <-- close to schenectady.
kibo@pawl.rpi.edu            _________________________________________________

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (08/15/90)

>I'll  put in  a vote for Neenah Bond 25% Cotton Fiber White Cockle Finish
>#02700 (Sub 20 Basis 10M M Weight).  My boss stumbled on it by accident...

I've also have very good experiences with Neenah bond 25% Cotton.  I don't
know exactly what sub-catagory of Neenah bond it was, but I found it produced
very crisp sharp text.  Also note that paper that is very white produces
good contrast giving better print quality.  Neenah bond provides this good
contrast.

Gilbert bond generally gives good results, but recently I've had batches of
paper where exactly every third sheed of paper gives slightly inferior
quality output (the text is lighter, not quite black).  I've heard that
when paper is manufactured, it is cut and stacked in a fashion that could
result in every third, or fourth sheet being from a different part of the
roll which may have different qualities.

Several types of less expensive copier paper can also give good results.  I
use Western CopyMate High Speed Red Label copier paper (White, long Grain,
Sub 20 blah blah blah).  I haven't done extensive testing on copier paper
so I don't know which is the best.

Note:  Make sure to print on the correct side of the paper for best results.
On some papers it doesn't matter, on others, the differece is dramatic.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

These opinions are my own and don't reflect HP's endorsement of any
particular brand of paper.  These are just my personal experiences.

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (08/16/90)

>It is not fast, but fast enough - 1 ppm claimed in "best" mode, 2
>ppm in "faster" mode.

Average throughput from real world testing from the time OK is hit to
the time the page falls into the output tray.

Mac II:  1.6 ppm (pages per minute) in "best" mode
Mac SE:  1.0 ppm in "best" mode

This was the result of 40 pages of documents from Word, MacDraw II, PageMaker,
etc.. Some of the documents were single page and some multipage documents
covering a range of document complexities.  As a comparison, the ImageWriter
achieved only about 0.4 ppm while the LaserWriter IINT got 2.3 ppm.

>The duty cycle of the printer is a claimed 60 000 pages, with 25 pages
>per day max on the average and an absolute maximum of 50 pages in any
>one day.

There is no absolute maximum daily usage for DeskWriter.  It's not like the
printer is going to self-desctuct if you print more than XXX pages in a
certain period of time.

>Things are in transition. HP has just announced a $200 price cut, and
>I think this is for a new model which does not have the AppleTalk
>interface - i.e. the cheaper model runs off the modem or printer port
>and is usable for a single machine only.

The price reduction is for the DeskWriter WITH AppleTalk, there aren't two
versions of the DeskWriter being sold.  The DeskWriter now lists for
$995, and at MacWorld I saw outlets selling them for under $640.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (08/21/90)

IMHO, the DeskWriter is the best printer around for the money, and ATM is
what makes it such a bargain.  Since I started using ATM and type 1 fonts
started becoming available on BBSs, I've gotten ten times the usage, and had
twice the fun doing it.  You don't need a hundred fonts, but it's sure nice
to know they're out there if you need them.  Give me a fancy script font,
a couple of flowery or gothic ones, and I'm happy.

If Adobe's prices bother you, there are shareware fonts out there for $5-$15,
and FontBank has 250 fonts for $295, just a little bit more than a buck each!
(These are display fonts, not very good below 18 point, but fine for headlines.)

When System 7 finally arrives, and when it has all the bells and whistles
Apple promises, I'll be happy to reevaluate my use of ATM.  In the mean time,
for under $60 street price, ATM makes a good printer (DeskWriter) into a
GREAT printer.

Mike Nolan