[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Deskwriter INK

silverio@granite.cr.bull.com (Brian D. Silverio) (08/17/90)

At Macworld in Boston I went to the HP booth and asked about the
rumored water-fast ink.  The response was that it would be released
in early 1991.  Doing some quick math, I then asked if that meant it
was six months in the future.  The marketing type thought for a moment
and then replied "Thats correct".  I then pointed out that the ink has
been six months in the future since I bought my Deskwriter in August
1989 and that I was tired of this run around.  He then went into typical
marketing 101 what-to-say-when-you-dont-know-what-you-are-talking-about
drivel, so I left.

The bottom line seems to be that HP does listen.  However, instead of
reacting to customer requests they concoct lies to tell to keep the
noise level down.

---
Neither my employer or I are authorized to speak for each other.

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (08/18/90)

>At Macworld in Boston I went to the HP booth and asked about the
>rumored water-fast ink.  The response was that it would be released
>in early 1991.  Doing some quick math, I then asked if that meant it
>was six months in the future.  The marketing type thought for a moment
>and then replied "Thats correct".  I then pointed out that the ink has
>been six months in the future since I bought my Deskwriter in August
>1989 and that I was tired of this run around.  He then went into typical
>marketing 101 what-to-say-when-you-dont-know-what-you-are-talking-about
>drivel, so I left.

No HP personel should have EVER said waterfast ink will be available
in whatever time frame up until this point.  Some HP person or dealer may have
told you something based on some rumor, but the official HP answer to
the waterfast ink question in the past was, "We are working on it", with
NO time frame promised or even suggested.

What has changed is now HP has anounced availability of such an ink.
The anouncement is in the latest Computer News for HP dealers.  Now if HP does
not deliver by the promised December time frame, I think you have
reason to be upset with HP.  But if some HP representative or
dealer gave you time frames in the past, they were out of line.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug17.165342.29750@granite.cr.bull.com>, silverio@granite.cr.bull.com (Brian D. Silverio) writes:
Some group at Macworld (can't find the blurb now) had a refill package
(syringe and all) and claimed that when they released it in a few
weeks they would have water-fast ink. Even if they don't get the
water-fast ink done, the price on the refill was quite good- list
price was $12.95 and they expected it to be discounted into the $9
range. It made refilling an option, whereas before it was the sort of
thing you didn't necessarily want to mess with unless you knew what
you were doing.

Adam

--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"