[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Do it yourself Harddrives

kevin@litle.litle.com (kevin p burke) (08/14/90)

has anyone interfaced a pc style harddrive (mfm, rll etc) to work with a mac?
a friend has a couple he picked up real cheap and was wondering if it could
be done...also what is involved in writing a driver for such a beast?

-k

--
Kevin P. Burke, Corporate Mystic, Litle & Co. | POB C26, Hanover, NH 03755-6000
  "Just Do It."

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) (08/15/90)

kevin@litle.litle.com (kevin p burke) writes:

>has anyone interfaced a pc style harddrive (mfm, rll etc) to work with a mac?
>a friend has a couple he picked up real cheap and was wondering if it could
>be done...also what is involved in writing a driver for such a beast?

It's not too bad - all you have to do is put a SCSI controller on top
of your drive, drop it into a box w/ powersupply (and old PC chassis
will work, or you can pick up a box designed for the job for about
$80), then rig the cables.  I've heard that the Adaptec controllers
are about the best.  The least expensive ones I've seen are Xebec
1410a's (recently about $200).  I used one of those for years to
interface an old Rodime 204E to an H89 CP/M-80 machine, and it worked
like a champ.  If you want to make your own cables, call Digi-Key
(800-344-4539) for the parts.  (just another satisfied customer...;{)

>Kevin P. Burke, Corporate Mystic, Litle & Co. | POB C26, Hanover, NH 03755-6000

Enjoy!

--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

mlg@cbnews.att.com (Mike Goodrich) (08/15/90)

In article <505@litle.litle.com> kevin@litle.litle.com (kevin p burke) writes:
>has anyone interfaced a pc style harddrive (mfm, rll etc) to work with a mac?
>a friend has a couple he picked up real cheap and was wondering if it could
>be done...also what is involved in writing a driver for such a beast?

Yes, you can interface a pc style drive to a Mac.  You can use the Adaptec
4000A SCSI conversion board.  This board will allow you to use an ESDI
disk drive on a SCSI bus.  The are a few things you need to know about
though.  You need an OEM guide for both the Adaptec 4000A controller and
for the ESDI disk drive you are using.  The reason you need these documents
is you need to know things like the number of heads, cylinders and blocks
per cylinder the disk drive uses and also you must know the various command
opcodes that the Adaptec controller uses.

The driver software is available from most of the big archives like sumex or
simtel.  There are a couple of different software packages that you can use

I have tryed the following software drivers  with some success:

1. The Vishniac SF&I (SCSI Formating & Initialization) tools (pretty good docs)
2. The Apple Compter PD source code example for a scsi driver.
3. The Silverlining disk management software available for LaCie for
   $99.00 (includes shipping)

My current setup is a Mac Plus with 2.5 MB a 20MB GCC FX20 Harddisk and
a do it your self 80MB Micropolis 1355 ESDI disk controlled by an Adaptec
4000A.  This project took me about 3 months to complete (when I started I
knew nothing about how to do it) but it was worth every minute of it.
One real good source of information was the Computer Shopper article
about how to build your own SCSI disk drive.  (I don't recall the
issue that this article appeared in.)

			Good Luck
			Mike Goodrich
			mlg@cblph.att.com

kevin@litle.litle.com (kevin p burke) (08/20/90)

first: thanx to all who replied to my first posts

second: after aquireing an adaptec acb 4010 board, I've connected my drive
and built the scsi cable needed to connect it to my mac...while formatting
it I get the error: "scsi bus is out of phase, no drives" needless to say,
I'm clueless to what this means...also I'm without the docs for the 4010
board...if anyone has these docs I'd love to get a copy...

thanx
-k

--

chad@norge.enet.dec.com (Chad Leigh) (08/22/90)

>Yes, you can interface a pc style drive to a Mac.  You can use the Adaptec
>4000A SCSI conversion board.  This board will allow you to use an ESDI
>disk drive on a SCSI bus.  The are a few things you need to know about
>though.  You need an OEM guide for both the Adaptec 4000A controller and
>for the ESDI disk drive you are using.  The reason you need these documents
>is you need to know things like the number of heads, cylinders and blocks
>per cylinder the disk drive uses and also you must know the various command
>opcodes that the Adaptec controller uses.

Are you sure the Adaptec 4000(a) board allows ESDI drives?  My Adaptec
4000 board allows ST506/412 compatible drives to be controlled.  I have
a 5 1/4 Micropolis (OEMed by DEC as RD53) and a Quantum 5 1/4  Q540
(OEMed by DEC as RD52) running (The RD52 won't boot but otherwise works
-- the RD53 will boot).  I am using the Vishniac driver (Yes, I'm
sending the shareware fee in as soon as I settle on using this drive
setup as my permanent drive set up and not  just as an experiment).

Also, you don't really need the OEM guide for either.  If you are using
someone elses driver you don't need to know much about the adaptec board
(you  need to know about the jumpers and stuff but a query here on the
net could probably help you there).  You do need to know things about
the drive but there are a lot of sources for things like num of heads,
cylinders etc.  There are plenty of places to get that info -- for
example, I have a listing for almost every drive from every manufacturer
that came from a western digital bbs.  It doesn't hurt to have the
adaptec manual (my board came with it -- i bought it used) and the drive
guide -- they just aren't necesarry as the amount of info needed isn't
that great.

Good luck

Chad

chad@norge.enet.dec.com
Vi elsker dette landet!
DEC has its opinions, I have mine.

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug15.123628.12944@cbnews.att.com> mlg@cbnews.att.com (Mike Goodrich) writes:

>Yes, you can interface a pc style drive to a Mac.  You can use the Adaptec
>4000A SCSI conversion board.  This board will allow you to use an ESDI
>disk drive on a SCSI bus.

I'm about 99.9% sure that the 4000A is an ST506 to SCSI adapter (I
have one in my ISI driving a couple of CDC Wren II's (ST-506).  I
know the 4070A is an RLL to SCSI, but I forget the ESDI to SCSI board.

Also note that Adaptec has a newer generation of these boards (the
5000 series?), and they might be worth checking out.  The 4000 stuff
came out in '84, I think.

>         You need an OEM guide for both the Adaptec 4000A controller and
>for the ESDI disk drive you are using.

You can get the Adaptec manual by sending $5 to:

		Adaptec, Inc.
		attn: JG
		691 Milpitas Blvd.
		Milpitas, CA 95035
		+1 408 945 8600 x2739 (for literature)

Or, at least you could a year or so ago.  You mileage may vary.

--

	ken seefried iii		ken@dali.gatech.edu

	"Vee haf veyz off making you talk...release da veasles..."

johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) (08/23/90)

In <14802@shlump.nac.dec.com> chad@norge.enet.dec.com (Chad Leigh) writes:

.... (description of how to make non SCSI PC harddisks into Mac
      SCSI harddisks)

We have some Control Data SMD interface drives lying around here.
Is there a SCSI interface for these drives available?

--
Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl
Lab. of Seismics & Acoustics             Delft University of Technology