[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus and flaky screen display + REPAIR SECRETS

chris@suntan.ncsl.nist.gov (Chris Schanzle) (08/24/90)

gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com (Brian Gilstrap) writes:

>Configuration:
>-------------
>Mac Plus

>Problem (Started about three days ago):
>--------------------------------------
>The screen suddenly goes black and after a light tap on the right side of the
>mac, the screen comes back.  Typically, applications are not bombed but do
>end up losing data (e.g. cumulative scores in a game go back to 0).

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: I would say you have one of two choices: Resolder
pins 1 and 3 on J4 (the high-voltage connector on the Analog board) or
have it replaced for around $200.

After having one of our Mac Plus's analog board replaced for $208 for
the simple "video collapses to a single, vertical white line", when it
collapsed on yet another mac (but this time to about a 1/2" wide
line), I decided I didn't want to get packed again.

If you're around many Mac Plus's, the first order of business is to
pick up a copy of "Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets" by Larry
Pina.  It should tell you everything you need to know.

Second, the Analog board get hot when the mac has been on for an hour
or more.  Combined with cooling a few hundred times, the solder joints
will crack and exhibit flaky behaviour.

Third, replacement parts are available (at somewhat reasonable prices;
four transistors and two capaciters were $25 including shipping)
through Soft Solutions.  In fact, I think that's all these guys do.
Anyway, give 'em a call at (503) 461-1136 and describe your problem to
them.  What follows is what I got out of a telephone call trying to
find their description of the *problem* of a 1/2" wide vertical line
rather than the more common pixel-wide vert. line.  Naturally, it was
the last one on the 24-symptom list.  :-)

[Note:  Some symptoms/solutions have been omitted.
  KEY:  T1 is the main flyback transformer, "C"s are capacitors,
	"Q"s are transistors, "U"s are IC's.  ]

For screen jiddering and worms, replace T1, T5-T16.

Ringing noises, replace T1.

Completely Dark -- Resolder pins 1,3 on J4, Replace U2, replace Lag chip
on logic board.

Horizontal Line:  Resolder pins 5, on J4, Check Q1, Q2, Int Q4, R2, R3.

Pin-prick in middle:  reconnect crt cable.

Shakes -- always solder connections Q1 and Q2.  Inspect and resolder them.

Half black -- resolder connections Q1, Q2.

Distorted right side -- flyback C1; coil magnets on tube.

Black screen, clicking CR5 and filter capacitor.

Magnified -- Bu406d, Q3.  Causes C1, possibly T1 to fry.  (caused by
low voltage )

** my problem
Wide band in Middle.  Replace and check Q1, Q2, Q4 Q5, and U1.
Q1 is MSU01 transister, Q2 is MPSU51 transister, Q4 2M4401 transister
Q5 2N5485 transister, U1 (Mac SE only) is 74LS38N

===================
BIG DISCLAMER FOLLOWS:  (this is serious, but almost fun!)

NOTE: Obviously this means taking your Mac apart and soldering.  Don't
do this if you don't think you can be careful enough -- you can die
from current held in capacitors at the high voltages found inside a
monitor even after turning off the computer.  You should learn to drain
this current before pulling the back cover.  Although I had never
taken a Plus apart to this degree (I have installed RAM), I was
EXTREMELY careful and survived -- and the Mac Plus was fixed.  I have
had lots of previous experience soldering.  You be the judge of your
capabilities; don't sue me if you made the incorrect decision.

"If you can read this, you're not		Chris Schanzle
looking through the Hubble telescope."		chris@suntan.ncsl.nist.gov