[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus and flaky screen display

gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com (Brian Gilstrap) (08/24/90)

I know that this is common question #318 so I would appreciate it if
someone(s) could respond to me via e-mail with their thoughts on the
nature of the problem.

Configuration:
-------------
Mac Plus
an Apple 40 meg. Hard Drive (originally an internal from a MacII; placed
	in an external case)
Imagewriter II
System 6.0.1 or 6.0.2

Problem (Started about three days ago):
--------------------------------------
The screen suddenly goes black and after a light tap on the right side of the
mac, the screen comes back.  Typically, applications are not bombed but do
end up losing data (e.g. cumulative scores in a game go back to 0).

Any thoughts or suggestions about possible causes would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian R. Gilstrap
gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com
gilstrap@swbatl.sbc.com
...!{texbell,uunet}!swbatl{!aslan}!gilstrap

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul BIG-EARS Menon) (08/24/90)

gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com (Brian Gilstrap) writes:

>Problem (Started about three days ago):
>--------------------------------------
>The screen suddenly goes black and after a light tap on the right side of the
>mac, the screen comes back.  Typically, applications are not bombed but do
>end up losing data (e.g. cumulative scores in a game go back to 0).

Resolder your analogue power supply (the vertical board on the LHS of the
Mac).  You have a dry joint or two.  This has occurred that many times, its
becoming predictable with our geriatric Macs.  If you take it to your "dealer"
they may charge you an analogue board "swap" fee.  It's the
equivalent of arthritis [their joints are squeaking :-)]

    Paul Menon,
    Dept of Computer Science,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe Street,
    Melbourne 3001,
    Victoria, Australia.

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU