[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Networked Scanners?

18215MES@MSU.BITNET (08/16/90)

(cross posted to comp.sys.mac.misc)
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know of a scanner that can be shared over an Appletalk
network? We have an HP, and a Microtek now.

Any help appreciated!  :)

mark Sartor, 221 ag hall, msu, e. lansing mi. 48823
(18215mes@msu.bitnet)

cory@three.mv.com (Cory Kempf) (08/24/90)

18215MES@MSU.BITNET writes:

>(cross posted to comp.sys.mac.misc)
>Hi Folks,
>Does anyone know of a scanner that can be shared over an Appletalk
>network? We have an HP, and a Microtek now.

I am designing the software for Howtek's next generation of scanner
software.  I have been considering designing it to work over a network,
but I ran into some minor snags...

How is one supposed to position the image on the scanner?  How should
the scanner be connected to the network?  Directly via localtalk?  That
sounds like it would take a long time to do a scan (figure, the typical
colour scan returns to the host computer 24 bits/pixel.  At 100 dpi (for
round numbers) a 5" * 5" scan will generate 500 * 500 * 3 = 750,000 bytes
of data.  Think of how long it takes to transfer a 750k file, then consider
that this would need to be done several times).  Ethertalk?  Much faster,
but would limit the market.  How does one handle scanning the next image?

Or, more generally, how are you imagining using the beaste?

Thanks,
+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
The EnigamI Co.							603 883 2474