[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SIMM speeds questions

TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu (08/21/90)

1. Can I use 150ns SIMMS in a vanilla Mac II?

2. Can I use 150ns SIMS in an SE?

3. What is the minimum speed SIMM I can use in a IIci?

4. Can I mix 150ns and 120ns SIMMS in questions 1 and 2?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Oravec        TCO1@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
Agronomy Dept.
Penn State U.

In article <90232.133607TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu> TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>1. Can I use 150ns SIMMS in a vanilla Mac II?
No.

>2. Can I use 150ns SIMS in an SE?
Yes.

>3. What is the minimum speed SIMM I can use in a IIci?
80ns, I think.

>4. Can I mix 150ns and 120ns SIMMS in questions 1 and 2?
Not in the same row, but each row can have different speeds.
(flamers, SHUT UP. flame Apple, they said it)

][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (08/21/90)

russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>>4. Can I mix 150ns and 120ns SIMMS in questions 1 and 2?
>Not in the same row, but each row can have different speeds.
>(flamers, SHUT UP. flame Apple, they said it)

Because you aren't the first to say something stupid, I won't flame you.
Because you realize it's stupid and still say it, I will flame you.

Of course, I was always taught to not make fun of those less gifted than the
rest of us.

Brian
--
Macintosh related:  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu
All else:  aslakson@cs.umn.edu

In article <1990Aug20.225807.16545@cs.umn.edu> aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:
>russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>
>>>4. Can I mix 150ns and 120ns SIMMS in questions 1 and 2?
>>Not in the same row, but each row can have different speeds.
>>(flamers, SHUT UP. flame Apple, they said it)
>
>Because you aren't the first to say something stupid, I won't flame you.
>Because you realize it's stupid and still say it, I will flame you.

I don't know that it is stupid-- I'm not into hardware, and informed engineers
disagree.  The common-sense answer would be that you can mix speeds freely,
but common sense doesn't always apply in electronics (witness the SCSI-bus
termination horrors)

>Of course, I was always taught to not make fun of those less gifted than the
>rest of us.

I'm glad you learned your lesson and made fun of me instead.

][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

hans@smab.se (Hans C Larsson) (08/24/90)

russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>In article <90232.133607TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu> TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>1. Can I use 150ns SIMMS in a vanilla Mac II?
>No.

>>2. Can I use 150ns SIMS in an SE?
>Yes.

>>3. What is the minimum speed SIMM I can use in a IIci?
>80ns, I think.

We are in fact using 80ns *and* 120ns in IIci's !
(Yes, we are suprised too but it works fine so far...)

>>4. Can I mix 150ns and 120ns SIMMS in questions 1 and 2?
>Not in the same row, but each row can have different speeds.
>(flamers, SHUT UP. flame Apple, they said it)
        Hans C Larsson			Email:	hans@smab.se
	Saab Missiles, Sweden		Motto:	"keep it short"

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug24.114021.9235@smab.se> hans@smab.se (Hans C Larsson) writes:
>russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>
>>In article <90232.133607TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu> TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>>3. What is the minimum speed SIMM I can use in a IIci?
>>80ns, I think.
Correct

>We are in fact using 80ns *and* 120ns in IIci's !
>(Yes, we are suprised too but it works fine so far...)

You got lucky is the best answer.  When you buy XXns parts, the manufacturer
says that they'll run at XX, but they may run FASTER.  For example, if said
manufacturer produced 120ns and 80ns parts, and there was a sudden run on
120ns, it may just relabel the 80ns as 120ns.  And they would be 120ns parts--
they'd just also happen to be 80ns parts.  We found a number of 100ns SIMMs
that worked in the IIci (and yes, some 120ns too).  So if you could get a
bunch of 120ns parts, you probably you sort through them and find a few that
would work on the IIci.  Note that they may start to fail once the machine
warms up some.

Mark
--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

cory@three.mv.com (Cory Kempf) (08/26/90)

TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>1. Can I use 150ns SIMMS in a vanilla Mac II?

No.  You need 120ns SIMMs

>2. Can I use 150ns SIMS in an SE?

Yes.

>3. What is the minimum speed SIMM I can use in a IIci?

80ns FPD (don't worry about that, just tell the chip
merchant that you want them for a IIci for home use)

>4. Can I mix 150ns and 120ns SIMMS in questions 1 and 2?

No and Yes, respectively.  You can't use the 150's in a II,
but you can use anything that is faster than 150 in an SE.  It
only cares about how long it will take to get the answer.  If
one chip has the answer first, it will not make any difference.
It is expecting an answer there sometime after 150 ns from when
it asks.

+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
The EnigamI Co.							603 883 2474

TCO1@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>1. Can I use 150ns SIMMS in a vanilla Mac II?

No.  You need 120ns SIMMs

>2. Can I use 150ns SIMS in an SE?

Yes.