[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Will old HD20 work w/new Macs?

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (08/28/90)

It seems that the old serial-based HD20 drives from Apple won't
work on the newer Mac models like the SE/30 and II line. You plug
'em into the diskette port but it never shows up on the desktop.
They do still work on the Plus and SE models.

Does anybody know if Apple has discontinued -- in ROM supposedly --
supporting the old HD 20 hard drives? Or is there an INIT that
will make them show up?

>>> yahnke@macc.wisc.edu <<<

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (08/30/90)

In article <4272@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
>It seems that the old serial-based HD20 drives from Apple won't
>work on the newer Mac models like the SE/30 and II line. You plug
>'em into the diskette port but it never shows up on the desktop.

I can verify this.  I recently got a IIcx and had hoped to use my old
HD20 with it, but no luck.  I also posted a request for help and got
email from several people saying that Apple no longer supported the
HD20.  Evidently there's a tech note that tells you how to do a hardware
hack to make it work on the Mac II line, but it is just for temporary
use to copy data from the HD20.

I bought one when it first came out and sold it last summer.  It is still
working perfectly, as is the one in my office.  They have been in continuous
use since 1985  and have never had any problems, which is more than I can
say for most of the SCSI disks I've seen!  BTW, we've found that performance
improves dramatically by setting the RAM cache to 1MB on a Mac Plus.
You can probably find someone who will buy it to use with at 512 or 512e,
though....

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug29.183707.4385@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
>In article <4272@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
>>It seems that the old serial-based HD20 drives from Apple won't
>>work on the newer Mac models like the SE/30 and II line. You plug
>>'em into the diskette port but it never shows up on the desktop.
>
>I bought one when it first came out and sold it last summer.  It is still
>working perfectly, as is the one in my office.  They have been in continuous
>use since 1985  and have never had any problems, which is more than I can
>say for most of the SCSI disks I've seen!  BTW, we've found that performance
>improves dramatically by setting the RAM cache to 1MB on a Mac Plus.
>You can probably find someone who will buy it to use with at 512 or 512e,
>though....

Even though this really belongs in comp.sys.mac.wanted, I wanted this to be
on this thread.  I have been looking for one of those drives for several
months (for a 512K mac using the HD20 startup).  If you want to get rid of
the drive, and the price is right, I'll sure be willing to consider buying it.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!secola!oiscola!dbarnhar