[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II ADB autostartup

rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) (08/28/90)

  How does the Mac start up from the keyboard and how difficult would
it be to put something on the ADB bus which would simulate this? I
want to set up a timer to autostart my mac. I've seem this sort
of thing advertised for about $99, so it must be reasonaly trivial.
THanks.

-Rob

"Lemon Curry?"

rlwald@phoenix.princeton.edu

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (08/28/90)

In article <2109@idunno.Princeton.EDU> rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) writes:

>  How does the Mac start up from the keyboard and how difficult would
>it be to put something on the ADB bus which would simulate this? I
>want to set up a timer to autostart my mac. I've seem this sort
>of thing advertised for about $99, so it must be reasonaly trivial.

Check out Apple's Q&A stack, I remember seeing it explained how the Mac
starts through the ADB, and suggested a theory on how you would do it
with a relay.

Charles

biswa@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Biswa Ghosh) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug28.150946.5495@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
)
)Check out Apple's Q&A stack, I remember seeing it explained how the Mac
)starts through the ADB, and suggested a theory on how you would do it
)with a relay.
)
)Charles

On a slightly different tack, has anyone ever considered rigging thier
SE/30 so it can start from the keyboard?  It would be a nice feature.
I'll take a look in the stacks. However, I doubt Apple would publicize
hardward hacks, so if anyone has done or looked into this, you have a
captive audience!

-Biswa

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (08/29/90)

In article <38481@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> biswa@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Biswa Ghosh) writes:
 |On a slightly different tack, has anyone ever considered rigging thier
 |SE/30 so it can start from the keyboard?  It would be a nice feature.

How about "PowerKey" from Sophisticated Circuit Inc.($99)?
It is ADB device and controlls 4 AC outlet. It can wake up the Mac
automatically, too.
I use it for my Mac SE/30 and modem and MIDI interface.

midkiff@portia.Stanford.EDU (Neil Midkiff) (08/29/90)

(Robert L. Wald) writes:

>  How does the Mac start up from the keyboard and how difficult would
>it be to put something on the ADB bus which would simulate this? I
>want to set up a timer to autostart my mac.

From page 291 of _Guide to the Macintosh Family Hardware_ (2nd ed.):

Pin 1 of ADB connector is the bidirectional data bus (open collector,
pulled up to +5V through 470 ohms)
Pin 2 is the power.on line.  A key on the ADB keyboard momentarily
grounds this pin to pin 4 to switch on the power supply on the Mac II
family.  On other models, this pin is not connected.
Pin 3 is +5 volts
Pin 4 is ground.

Here's where it gets tricky.  The picture of the connector doesn't say
whether it's the male or female connector; I would guess that it's the
female chassis connector, but CHECK IT OUT before trying to short pins
together!

                       ^^XX^^
                     ( 4    3 )
                    (          )
                    ( 2      1 )
                     (X [[]] X)
                       \____/

Wow, that isn't very round, is it?  The 1 2 3 4 are pins (or sockets
for pins), the X's are notches for orientation, the [[]] is the
rectangular alignment plug, and all the other marks are my very
inartistic attempt at an ASCII circle.

Probably the safest test is to unplug the keyboard from the Mac (power
off first, of course) and use an ohmmeter on the pins of the plug that
goes into the Mac, to see which pins get connected when the power-on
switch is depressed on the keyboard.

Then all you need is a relay driven by an alarm-clock chip (most of them
have logic outputs, I think) to make your auto-starting Mac a reality.

Good luck!
-Neil

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug29.103618.6714@portia.Stanford.EDU> midkiff@portia.Stanford.EDU (Neil Midkiff) writes:
>From page 291 of _Guide to the Macintosh Family Hardware_ (2nd ed.):
>
>Pin 1 of ADB connector is the bidirectional data bus (open collector,
>pulled up to +5V through 470 ohms)
>Pin 2 is the power.on line.  A key on the ADB keyboard momentarily
>grounds this pin to pin 4 to switch on the power supply on the Mac II
>family.  On other models, this pin is not connected.
>Pin 3 is +5 volts
>Pin 4 is ground.

Now this is real interesting! Since you indicated that pin 2 is not used on the
"other" macs (like my SE), it would be a real simple thing to take a low
voltage relay and hook it up in such a way that pressing the "power on" button
of my extended keyboard, I could power up my mac SE. Obviously, wiring the
relay to toggle wouldn't be a good idea since hitting the "power" button onthe
keyboard would knock down anything that you were doing without a proper
shutdown.

SOOOO!...

On a mac SE, is there a signal (or set of signals) ANYWHERE in the SE that
occur when shut down is selected from the menu that could be used as a simple
trigger to release the power up latch?

This would be, like, sooo groovey to turn my SE on and off from the keyboard!!

(Hmm... in fact, with a single relay and some wire splicing, even the ability
to only turn it ON from the keyboard is interesting...You know, then after
doing the shut down, reaching behind the mac to power it off and then flip the
switch back on to "re-arm" it.

Don't worry about me! My first box of floppies lasted longer than my mac's
warranty! :-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM