[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIcx has problems starting

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (08/27/90)

My Mac IIcx, which is about two years old, has problems starting up.  I've
already taken it to CJS Systems (the best) and they couldn't find the problem
so hopefully one of you out there has the answer.

After the machine has been off for a while, say overnight, it will not turn on
again with either the keyboard or the switch in back.  To turn it on, I have
to unplug the Mac, wait 10 or 15 seconds, plug it back in, and hit the keyboard
a few times until it turns on.  If the machine is off but it is still warm,
there isn't a problem turning it on again.  Weird, huh?

It's not the keyboard or power cord or surge suppressor, I've tried substitutes
for each one.  My exact setup is:
  Mac IIcx with 5Mb and no internal hard disk
  Apple 13" RBG monitor with 8 bit video card
  Apple 800K external drive
  Mass Micro Syquest drive

Any ideas?

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (08/27/90)

From: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim)
Subject: IIcx has problems starting

>After the machine has been off for a while, say overnight, it will not turn on
>again with either the keyboard or the switch in back.  To turn it on, I have
>to unplug the Mac, wait 10 or 15 seconds, plug it back in, and hit the keyboard
>a few times until it turns on.

It sounds like weak batteries. Did CJS Systems try replacing them?

                                        --clark
Clark Anderson                InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
PCB Software Tools            AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc           BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

bcs-jim@pro-angmar.UUCP (Jim Rinaldo) (08/29/90)

From: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim)
RE: Answer (maybe)

Lloyd, I noticed that the Mac IIs have a trickle voltage that lets them boot
from hitting the key on the keyboard. You can test this by unplugging your
mac, then hitting the power switch. If all is well, you'll hear the voltage
discharge once. I also suggest this procedure to anyone changing RAM chips or
poking their probiskuts into a Mac II case.
Anyway, it may be the part of your power supply that feeds this charge. Try
swapping power supplies. Plus, the Cx-mini case line is known for wimpy power.

Jim Rinaldo
Managing Editor, Computer-Aided Publishing Solutions (CAPs)
The Boston Computer Society
BCS: (617) 367-8080, FAX: 367-8530

pro-angmar!bcs-jim@alphalpha.com

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (08/29/90)

I've included the reply that explained the problem best.  A few other responses
confirmed this message.  I sure hope Apple devises a repair program soon.
Apparently, this problem was discussed in this group before.  Thanks to all
who replied.

+++

------
From: netcom!bryanvv@csun.csun.edu (Bryan Van Vliet)
Subject: Re: problem with Mac IIcx
To: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 90 14:59:04 PDT
Cc: netcom!bryanvv (Bryan Van Vliet)

Lloyd,

The following text is from TidBITs (a Hypercard stack with articles on
the computer industry) which seems to describe your problem:

The second problem is a bit stranger. Robin Goldstone reports that some IIcx and
IIci machines will sometimes fail to turn on with either of the switches. The
probability of experiencing startup problems is higher if the system has been
turned off overnight, strangely enough. The simple fix is to unplug the power
cord from the Mac for more than 10 seconds and then plug it back in. Apple says
that if the Mac doesn't start up properly after the unplugging trick, the power
supply should be replaced. If you are having these problems and you have a power
supply in one of the following ranges, you should give your friendly local Apple
dealer a call and sound pitiful. According to the posting, the serial number
ranges are RGE924xxxxxxx through GE953xxxxxxx AND/OR GE001xxxxxxx through
GE023xxxxxxxS [sic]. Of course, there may be others as well.

Apple has fixed the problem ("Oh, yeah, we should've put a resistor across
capacitor C9 and jumper wire on the control board. Details, details.") and all
the good power supplies now have a white dot adjacent to the Molex output
connector, should you happen to know what a Molex output connector looks like. I
wouldn't if it hit me in the nose. Apple is working on a Customer Satisfaction
Program, so if you have this problem but don't have one of the above serial
numbers please call your dealer and ask for satisfaction. This is the sort of
thing that Apple should replace because it is mind-numbingly frustrating and an
opportunity to win some customer loyalty with good service.

I hope this helps.

							Best regards,

							Bryan
------
Thanks, Bryan!

mcglade@rhea.trl.oz.au (bryan mcglade) (08/31/90)

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:

>From: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim)
>Subject: IIcx has problems starting

>>After the machine has been off for a while, say overnight, it will not turn on
>>again with either the keyboard or the switch in back.  To turn it on, I have
>>to unplug the Mac, wait 10 or 15 seconds, plug it back in, and hit the keyboard
>>a few times until it turns on.

>It sounds like weak batteries. Did CJS Systems try replacing them?

>                                        --clark

we have quite a few ci's here ant they have almost all exhibited this problem.
the fix used was as described above.

weak batteries? does the ci use batteries to sense an "on" switch action? we
aren't refering to the pram battery here are we?

bryan.