[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Drives in the IIcx

vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu (Matthew V Whalen) (08/31/90)

  What's the largest (dimesnion wise) hard drive that can be installed in the
IIcx.  I know that 3.5 inch half-height can, but can I put a 5.25 full height
in (either supposidly(by apple saying) or realistically(actually doing it)).

Thanks - matthew whalen
	vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu      or   cwhalen@vms.ecs.rpi.edu

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (08/31/90)

In article <RN~%=W&@rpi.edu> vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu (Matthew V Whalen) writes:

>  What's the largest (dimesnion wise) hard drive that can be installed in the
>IIcx.  I know that 3.5 inch half-height can, but can I put a 5.25 full height
>in (either supposidly(by apple saying) or realistically(actually doing it)).
>
>Thanks - matthew whalen
>	vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu      or   cwhalen@vms.ecs.rpi.edu

The largest drive that can go in an UNMODIFIED IICx/ci is 3.5" half-height
(well actually, this is full-height for 3.5s, i.e. I have never heard of a
3.5 any taller than a half-height 5.25').

With a custom bracket it is possible to mount a half-height 5.25 drive
sideways.  The only such bracket I have heard of is the one sold by Micronet
with their 5.25 Wren drives.  Note that this is a replacement for the whole
module that normally holds the floppy and the hard drive.

It is not possible to mount a 5.25 full height as their would be no room
for the floppy drive.

Note: The Micronet drive bracket precludes the use of cache cards in the
      IIci at present since the drive hangs over the cache slot.  If some
      one were to make a half-height cache card (I see no reason this could
      not be done) then you could use that.  The drive does not occlude
      the NuBus slots at all.

There is some question about the power draw of larger drives in the cx/ci.
Micronet claims that there is no problem. And I have had no problem with
my 173meg Wren even though I also have a full-page display card (cornerstone)
in addition to a Teac tape mechanism that is also powered off the internal
supply (It is external but draws power through the floppy port).

On the other hand, a sales rep from APS that I spoke to claimed that Micronet
has recieved a warning from Aple that any Power Supplies damaged by such
installlations will not be covered under warranty/applecare.  I cannot
attest to the truth of this statement.

Note that I have been operating the above configuration for over six months
with no problem.

I have no connection with any of the companies mentioned other than as a
customer.

Josh Hodas
Josh Hodas    			Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street		School Office Phone: (215) 898-2911
Philadelphia, PA 19104		New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu