[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quantum 120 meg drives

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu (09/01/90)

In article <6197@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600bill@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Julie Poucher) writes:
>> In article <710RAFI@BGUVM> RAFI@BGUVM.BITNET (Rafi Brunner) writes:
>>I have my second Quantum 120 HD on my IIx, the disk is very fast 15ns, but

> Wow!  If it's '15_ns_ I'm very impressed!  Indeed!  (J/K) I know you
> meant 15_ms_....
>
> Anyway, sorry to spoil your day but 15ms ain't that fast these days.
> I own a Quantum 180 with access time of 11ms.  I've only seen/heard of
> == Puneet Pasrich ============ Internet:  6600bill@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu =========

I believe (though I don't know for a fact) the both the 120 & 180 have the
same access times, 15ms. Puneet, your getting an *effective* rate of 11ms
which is what Quantum loves to advertize. This is due to the cache they use.
The actual access rate is 15ms. Their older drives had an actual access time
of 19ms and and effective rate (with cache taken into account) of 12 ms.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah