[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Standard vs. Extended Keyboard

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (08/29/90)

I do not like the placement of the control key on the extended keyboard
(way down on bottom) and prefer its placement on the standard keyboard
(to left).  What does one miss by getting a standard rather than extended
keyboard.  Are the function keys really of much use?  What programs use
them?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

bhall@pbs.org (Dark Star) (08/30/90)

In article <3005@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
> What does one miss by getting a standard rather than extended
> keyboard.  Are the function keys really of much use?  What programs use
> them?

For me they are most useful in terminal emulation programs.  That's about the
only time that I use the control key also.  I agree that the control is then
a little too far away to be convenient so I used MicroPhone II's preferences
to use the option key as the control key.

I think that the arrow keys are in a better place in the extended keyboard.

People that use QuickKeys or some other macro program can usually define
the function keys to do all sorts of things (HyperCard can do this too).

--
Bruce Hall                     Domain: bhall@pbs.org
Public Broadcasting Service    UUCP:...{uupsi,vrdxhq,csed-1,ida.org}!pbs!bhall

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (08/30/90)

In article <3005@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
> I do not like the placement of the control key on the extended keyboard
> (way down on bottom) and prefer its placement on the standard keyboard
> (to left).  What does one miss by getting a standard rather than extended
> keyboard.  Are the function keys really of much use?  What programs use
> them?

Paul, I modified my extended keyboard to have control and caps lock swapped
(very easy to do), but I also had a Datadesk Switchboard on my Mac Plus.  I
tried the Datadesk Switchboard on the IIfx and liked the feel so much (plus
the control and caps lock can be swapped via a dip switch) that I now have
the Switchboard on the IIfx and the original keyboard back on the Plus.  I'm
currently working on an easy instruction list with resources for the system
file to distribute so others can swap the keys on the ADB extended if they
want without having to modify the resources themselves.

Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility
dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com
dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

englund@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (ENGLUND TODD CHARLES) (09/01/90)

In article <3005@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>Are the function keys really of much use?  What programs use
>them?

     Whether the function keys are useful or not really depends upon how much
use you can make of command macros.  Most software which will support Undo, Cut
Copy, or Paste will allow function keys F1 - F4 to be used instead.
     The real value of function keys is that they give you more keys that you
can assign commands (or series of commands) to using programs such as Quickeys,
Tempo II, or MacroMaker.  Although these programs can assign macros to non
function keys also, in many cases other keyboard combinations are already taken
by software.  With any of these macro programs commands can be assigned to any
program.  They can be global or limited to a certain application, and can often
save much time and effort.

-Todd

englund@snoopy.colorado.edu
englund@spot.colorado.edu