[net.columbia] >From: benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

snell@utzoo.UUCP (Richard Snell) (02/12/86)

>Subject: Naming just two craters on Venus...
>Date: Thu, 6-Feb-86 17:45:45 EST
>
>What I find MOST interesting is the
>fact that the Russians, whether they realize it or not,
>have just named a Venereal* crater after a Jew:  Judy Resnik
>
>*The 'correct' adjective to refer to Venus is 'venereal.'  The
>'word' 'venusian' was coined by the popular press, who were
>too embarassed by the real word.  I guess that's how words are
>born.
>___________________
>T Cox

As a long time and true fan of WORDS (being one who finds dictionaries
dangerous time wasters), I must disagree with Mr. Cox's use of the
word "venereal."

According to the Compact edition of the Oxford English Dictionary (which
is not really compact at all...), the four distinct meanings of venereal
all relate to either sexual activity, lasciviousness, or genitalia.
(The numerous antiquarian examples are, of course, fascinating.)
There are no meanings associated with the planet Venus,
though the etymological origin is the goddess of love, Venus.

(An "American" dictionary (Webster's Third New International Unabridged),
provides three distinct meanings, none of which relate to the planet Venus.)

I suspect that the news media is not afraid of the word venereal
(at least not in Canada...)
when used in the appropriate context.
Venusian is a suitable adjective when describing attributes of the planet.
(I know etymological discussions are not really suitable for the net;
sorry to talk about something besides what to rename this newsgroup.)
--
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto