[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Connecting SCSI devices while powered up?

BBOLT@vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Bob Bolt) (08/31/90)

Does anyone know is it is safe to connect and disconnect SCSI devices while
the power on the computer and SCSI device is still on? I often have to add
or remove hard drives and tape backup units to my system and it is annoying
to have to reboot every time. I recently obtained the MountEm fkey and the
docs imply that it is okay to plug a hard drive into the SCSI port with
the computer running and then mount the drive.

Is it safe to do this or are there potentially dire consequences like those
listed for connecting ADB devices while the computer is on (which I have
done for some time now without any problems :-/)

Bob Bolt
BBOLT@VM.UCS.UALBERTA.CA

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (09/02/90)

In article <989@vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA> BBOLT@vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA writes:
>Does anyone know is it is safe to connect and disconnect SCSI devices while
>the power on the computer and SCSI device is still on? I often have to add
>or remove hard drives and tape backup units to my system and it is annoying
>to have to reboot every time. I recently obtained the MountEm fkey and the
>docs imply that it is okay to plug a hard drive into the SCSI port with
>the computer running and then mount the drive.

I always thought it was safe to do this, and in fact recabled SCSI disks
live thousands of times until about 6 months ago when I fried the
controller on one of my disks (an Apple Quantum 80 - luckily a friend
had a dead Quantum that had died in the earthquake so I got my disk
and data back).

Be carefull out there

	Paul Campbell

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
What most people don't realize is that those plastic cover slips that your 3

joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) (09/02/90)

	*Never* connect/disconnect SCSI devices while the SCSI bus is live
	(== Mac and drives are turned on). I'm sure you'll get responses
	about this one!

	This is always what I heard and I heard that Apple says the same.

	I've never put it to the test, though.

	If you've got the money, try it :) (no, really, please don't)

	Joseph Judge		joe@cblpf.att.com

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (09/03/90)

From: BBOLT@vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Bob Bolt):
>Does anyone know is it is safe to connect and disconnect SCSI devices while
>the power on the computer and SCSI device is still on? I often have to add
>or remove hard drives and tape backup units to my system and it is annoying
>to have to reboot every time.

One of our SCSI gurus here says that he's "seen lots of SCSI
controller boards fried" because the bus wasn't powered down when
the user added/removed a device from the chain.

Offhand, I'd say that the annoyance of shutting down would be nothing
compared to having to buy a new drive...

                                       --clark
Clark Anderson                InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
PCB Software Tools            AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc           BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."