[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quantum 120 meg drives - Any experiences

BBOLT@vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Bob Bolt) (08/14/90)

I have been hearing some very good things about hard drives from Alliance
Peripheral Systems (APS). I called them to order a Quantum 105 meg drive
and the salesperson tried very hard to sell me a 120 meg drive. At $769,
it is only $70 more than the 105 meg drive and he said it is much faster.
Apparantly, it is a "depopulated" 170 meg drive and they have been selling
many of them.

Has anyone had any experiences with this drive? It sounds very good, but
I am hesitating because I have never heard anything, good or bad, about
it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Bolt
bbolt@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca

dolf@fwi.uva.nl (Dolf Starreveld) (08/14/90)

BBOLT@vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Bob Bolt) writes:

> I have been hearing some very good things about hard drives from Alliance
> Peripheral Systems (APS). I called them to order a Quantum 105 meg drive
> and the salesperson tried very hard to sell me a 120 meg drive. At $769,
> it is only $70 more than the 105 meg drive and he said it is much faster.
> Apparantly, it is a "depopulated" 170 meg drive and they have been selling
> many of them.
>
> Has anyone had any experiences with this drive? It sounds very good, but
> I am hesitating because I have never heard anything, good or bad, about
> it. Thanks in advance for any help.
A friend of mine bought one of those from APS recently. He is very satisfied
and the disk indeed performs very good.

--dolf
--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/5022 (FAX: 5155), TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl)

RAFI@BGUVM.BITNET (Rafi Brunner) (08/23/90)

I have my second Quantum 120 HD on my IIx, the disk is very fast 15ns, but
the first one crashed and was replaced, the second one keeps on crashing at a
rate of twice a day at least (on a good day). I've been told by the distributer
that the disk I have is a generic SCSI, while there is a special model for mac
and that he will try to get me some. True to this date I enjoy the disk between
crashes and treat is very carefuly ( backup every few hours).
Rafi

englund@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (ENGLUND TODD CHARLES) (08/29/90)

In article <710RAFI@BGUVM> RAFI@BGUVM.BITNET (Rafi Brunner) writes:
>I have my second Quantum 120 HD on my IIx, the disk is very fast 15ns, but
>the first one crashed and was replaced, the second one keeps on crashing at a
>rate of twice a day at least (on a good day). I've been told by the distributer
>that the disk I have is a generic SCSI, while there is a special model for mac
>and that he will try to get me some. True to this date I enjoy the disk between
>crashes and treat is very carefuly ( backup every few hours).
>Rafi

     No offense, but I don't see how you can enjoy using ANY drive which crashesdaily.   I have never once experienced a crash in the two years that I've owned
a Quantum based drive, and I'm sure (at least I hope) that your situation is
quite unusual.

Todd

6600bill@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Julie Poucher) (08/30/90)

> In article <710RAFI@BGUVM> RAFI@BGUVM.BITNET (Rafi Brunner) writes:
>I have my second Quantum 120 HD on my IIx, the disk is very fast 15ns, but
>the first one crashed and was replaced, the second one keeps on crashing at a
>rate of twice a day at least (on a good day). I've been told by the distributer
>that the disk I have is a generic SCSI, while there is a special model for mac
>and that he will try to get me some. True to this date I enjoy the disk between
>crashes and treat is very carefuly ( backup every few hours).

Wow!  If it's '15_ns_ I'm very impressed!  Indeed!  (J/K) I know you
meant 15_ms_....

Anyway, sorry to spoil your day but 15ms ain't that fast these days.
I own a Quantum 180 with access time of 11ms.  I've only seen/heard of
one drive faster than mine...and it cost about $1K more!

Also, it's a shame your drive crashes that often.  I've had a couple
(say, three) crashes in the last two years and saved all my data from
all three of them (very lucky, I realize) but my point is that it
really sucks to have your drive go down.  I cannot begin to understand
how you can handle two crashes ("on a good day")!!  Enjoy...
== Puneet Pasrich ============ Internet:  6600bill@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu ==========
== Karate Kid ================ Bitnet:    6600bill@ucsbuxa.bitnet ============
== In Capitalism, man exploits man. In Communism, it's the other way around. =

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (08/31/90)

6600bill@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Julie Poucher) writes:

>Anyway, sorry to spoil your day but 15ms ain't that fast these days.
>I own a Quantum 180 with access time of 11ms.  I've only seen/heard of
>one drive faster than mine...and it cost about $1K more!

	Sorry to spoil YOUR day, but you seem among those suffering
	from what I used to call the Magic Number Syndrome. That's the
	tendency to consolidate the "goodness" of some entity to a
	single number.

	The quoted figure refers to AVERAGE access time, and is simply
	one among many technical indicators of potential performance.
	Let's keep it all in context, shall we?

						shwake@rsxtech

Rafi Brunner <RAFI@BGUVM.BITNET> (09/02/90)

The 120MB from Quantum is super fast, I enjoy the speed. Some times you can
appreciate the beautifull eyes of an ugly woman dont you?
Rafi

RAFI@BGUVM.BITNET (Rafi Brunner) (09/03/90)

The Quantum 180 and 120 have the same speed 15ms measured with SCSI
evaluator. where did u get the 11ms ? from the dealer? it can give 11ms
for a shot while until the RAM cache is full then it'll goes  down to 15ms.
Rafi