[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus HD port question

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (09/05/90)

My question is this:  Do *all* SCSI macs have the SCSI icon next to the
port?  I have a Mac Plus with the HD icon (box with a blip in it) next
to the port.  Am I correct in assuming that this is a serial-only Mac
Plus?

Next:  If this is the case, does anyone out there have an old HD that
will run with this machine for sale?

Thanks!
-JBZimmerman!

___________           |-Here comes your father.
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

thomas@uplog.se (Thomas Tornblom) (09/05/90)

In article <2269@idunno.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:

   My question is this:  Do *all* SCSI macs have the SCSI icon next to the
   port?  I have a Mac Plus with the HD icon (box with a blip in it) next
   to the port.  Am I correct in assuming that this is a serial-only Mac
   Plus?

   Next:  If this is the case, does anyone out there have an old HD that
   will run with this machine for sale?

To the best of my knowledge all pluses have scsi.
The serial disk port is 19 pins vs 25 pins for the scsi port.
Old pluses (begie) have the old icon next to the scsi connector.
--
Real life:      Thomas Tornblom                 Email:  thomas@uplog.se
Snail mail:     Telesoft Uppsala AB             Phone:  +46 18 189406

wsinkees@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (09/06/90)

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:

>My question is this:  Do *all* SCSI macs have the SCSI icon next to the
>port?  I have a Mac Plus with the HD icon (box with a blip in it) next
>to the port.  Am I correct in assuming that this is a serial-only Mac
>Plus?

I don't think so.  I have a Mac Plus with SCSI port and the icon on the back
looks like this:

	------------------
	|  -             |
	------------------

Very informative from Apple! (sarcasm intended -- contest: who designs
a good hard disk icon?) and I have a satisfactory Cutting Edge SCSI hard
drive connected to it.
Furthermore, I thought that all Plusses had a SCSI interface.
But you have to check this out, of course.  Borrow a drive and try it.
BTW, Mac SCSI ports have 25 pins
resp. holes, whereas most others have 50, but a cable can overcome this.
--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
DOMAIN: wsinkees@win.tue.nl    BITNET: wsdckeesh@heitue5    FAX: +31-40-436685