[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple 2-page monitor and Mac IIfx

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (08/31/90)

The Apple 2-page monitor has a plastic base which matches the cover of
the Mac II, IIx and IIfx.  It even has ventilation slots so that it
doesn't interfere with the airflow when placed atop the box.
Nonetheless, the IIfx installation instructions explicitly recommends
that you NOT place the 2-page monitor atop the system unit.  Can anyone
at Apple explain why this is and just how dangerous (or not) such
placement might be?

Tnx,
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

consp22@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (09/01/90)

In article <3884@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
|>The Apple 2-page monitor has a plastic base which matches the cover of
|>the Mac II, IIx and IIfx.  It even has ventilation slots so that it
|>doesn't interfere with the airflow when placed atop the box.
|>Nonetheless, the IIfx installation instructions explicitly recommends
|>that you NOT place the 2-page monitor atop the system unit.  Can anyone
|>at Apple explain why this is and just how dangerous (or not) such
|>placement might be?

I cal tell you why...I have installed a number of these units; they weigh
a friggin ton! The case really cannot support all that weight too well.

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  Consultant/Techie - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (09/06/90)

From article <3884@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, by dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer):
> The Apple 2-page monitor has a plastic base which matches the cover of
> the Mac II, IIx and IIfx.  It even has ventilation slots so that it
> doesn't interfere with the airflow when placed atop the box.
> Nonetheless, the IIfx installation instructions explicitly recommends
> that you NOT place the 2-page monitor atop the system unit.  Can anyone
> at Apple explain why this is and just how dangerous (or not) such
> placement might be?

IMHO the 2 page monitor simply weighs too much to sit on a large
Mac II box. Then again, I'm not at Apple so MHO probably doesn't
count.
--
Norman Graham                            Oklahoma State University
  Internet:  norman@a.cs.okstate.edu     Computing and Information Sciences

rkm@PacBell.COM (Richard Mossman) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.034142.4411@d.cs.okstate.edu> norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:
>From article <3884@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, by dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer):

From my copy of the "Apple Two-Page Monochrome Monitor Owner's Guide", page 18
(and I quote) "Because of the size and weight of the Apple Two-Page Monochrome
Monitor, you should not place it on top of your computer."  What more
explanation is necessary?
--
Richard K. Mossman  {att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!rkm
415/823-0974