[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need Advice on SysQuest HD

jt1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jee Tien Tan) (08/03/90)

Greetings Netters,

I might be acquiring a SysQuest based HD.
It will be use as a secondary HD and a backup system.
I seek advice/recommendation/encouragement (or discouragement)
from people with experience and knowledge about them.
Please specify brand,price,service,reliability,age &
include other tech notes if you think is necessary.

There are some specific question I have:
Why are some brands considerably more expensive than other?
Since they are based upon the same technology/mechanism
or do they differ technological wise ?
I hear rumors that the failure rates for this mechanism
in GENERAL (not biased on any specific brand) are on the
rise. And there is a new 3.5" removable HD technology (capacity 40M?)
(Either in development or coming to a dealer near you.)

Or are these just some PR BS,aim to victimize the removable
HD industry and their consumers ?

Please reply email directly to me & I'll post a summary on the net.
Thanxs in advance to all tech-gurus and SysQuest owners.

p.s. PR BS = marketing ploy.
I'll be @ MacExpo, Boston next week
Jee Tien Tan (a.k.a. Zachariah)         Limited Edition tm

5320 Fifth Ave  Apt#202                 ARPANET: jt1r@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh      PA 15232                BITNET:  jt1r%andrew@cmccvb.BITNET
(412) 682-5045                          UUCP: .. !harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jt1r

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (08/03/90)

/* Written  1:13 pm  Aug  2, 1990 by jt1r+@andrew.cmu.edu */
 > I might be acquiring a SysQuest based HD.
 > It will be use as a secondary HD and a backup system.
 > I seek advice/recommendation/encouragement (or discouragement)
 > from people with experience and knowledge about them.
 > Please specify brand,price,service,reliability,age &
 > include other tech notes if you think is necessary.

Check out the summary I wrote four or five months ago.  You can find it
by anonymous ftp to sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the /info-mac/report directory.

This is a report that I wrote after asking approximately the same question
as you did.

Best of luck!  (If you have any questions of me, don't hesitate to e-mail.)

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (09/05/90)

In article <88500021@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
#>
[...]

I just ordered one from DPI, based upon BMUG's recommendation,
both verbal and in print in the new BMUG newsletter. DPI is
also the cheapest, the main unit is $649 (that's the university
price DPI quoted to me over the phone, but also the same price
BMUG mentions in its newsletter), which is the same price as the
Ehman, and the cartridges are $75, which is $9 cheaper than
Ehman. If price isn't important to you, there are two new
heavier-duty and slightly larger removeables available, one
with a Ricoh mechanism. What I did, aside from the BMUG
recommendation, was to go through an issue of MacWorld and
check out the ads. Most manufacturers have a direct price
which is comparable to or better than a dealer's price (one
didn't sell direct). Some only sell direct.

DPI's data is 40 Corning Avenue, Milpitas, CA 95035;
408-945-1850, 800-825-1850, FAX: 408-945-8148.

DPI also was named "Service Hero" in the October 1990 MacWorld,
p. 101.

Steve Goldfield

m_herodotus@coors.dec.com (Mario Herodotus - Digital Customer Support Center (800) 525-6570) (09/07/90)

I've been using a DPI 44R drive since DPI first made them available. The drive
needed a ROM upgrade and DPI returned the drive to me in 5 days (the upgrade
was free too!).  There Tech support is very good, I've used them twice...once
for SCSI termination questions, once when the drive wouldn't format on my new
IIcx (ROM upgrade time). I would recommend the DPI Drive.

>DPI, 40 Corning Avenue, Milpitas, CA 95035;
>408-945-1850, 800-825-1850, FAX: 408-945-8148.

Mario

      I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K4 ]   |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation     |
Customer Support Center           | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.              |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919        | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus
(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520         |
[direct line (719) 592-5520]      |