[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ADB Y-Jack?

FlashsMom@cup.portal.com (NancyAnn none Sheridan) (09/07/90)

The Teleport ADB modem is fun, and frees my modem port for my MacRecorder,
but it's got only one ADB port, which is stupid, and means that my keyboard
[and lap] has two cables going into it.  Is there such a thing as an ADB
Y-Jack?
---
72540.1731@CompuServe.Com
Flash@Dcjcon.Das.Net
FlaSheridn on America OnLine
FlashsMom@Cup.Portal.Com

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (09/08/90)

In article <33609@cup.portal.com>, FlashsMom@cup (NancyAnn none Sheridan) writes:
>The Teleport ADB modem is fun, and frees my modem port for my MacRecorder,
>but it's got only one ADB port, which is stupid, and means that my keyboard
>[and lap] has two cables going into it.  Is there such a thing as an ADB
>Y-Jack?
>---

Yes there is.  At least for the IIGS there is, and since the IIGS
implementation of the ADB is the same as the Mac's, this may be
helpful (it was originally posted to comp.sys.apple2).

I haven't experienced this problem yet, but have heard that the
mouseport on the IIGS keyboard can loosen up and cause some flaky
behavior with your mouse and keyboard.  If you are handy with a
soldering iron, supposedly this a a simple fix.  However, if you go to
a dealer, you will have to get a replacement keyboard.  An inexpensive
solution to this is to get an ADB Y connector that plugs into the back
of your machine and then you can plug your keyboard into one connector
and your mouse in another.  (This is also a solution for those of you
who like to set your keyboard in your lap, and find it annoying when
your mouse keeps falling off your desk.)  There are two known places
that this Y connector can be purchased from.  One place is Redmond Cable.
Their cable has a male plug with two six inch cords coming out of it
each having a female plug at the end that you plug the keyboard and
mouse into.  The price is $30.  (I think the miniumum price on any
cable they sell is $30).

Another source for such a cable is ELPE Enterprises.  The cable they
have has the male plug, a flat cord that goes about 6 inches and
splits to two cords, one is about 6" long and the other is about 10
inches long, each ending with a female plug.  The cord is flat so that
it can run underneath the computer and not be crushed, and the reason
for the two cords being different is due to the fact that the ADB port
on the back is not in the center, but off to the left side.  That way
when the cords come out each side from under the computer, it's at the
same place.  The price?  $15 and $1.50 shipping.  I think this is a
better cable at a better price.  ELPE can be contacted at:

	ELPE Enterprises
	3788 Elco Street
	San Diego, CA. 92111
	(619) 571-0757

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7340 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>