[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ADB plugs

howie@triton.tamu.edu (MATT_K_HOWARD) (09/07/90)

I can't say why but the urge just hit me to complain.

Why do the stupid ADB plugs that go into the keyboard have to stick
out so damn far?  Why couldn't they have a 90 angle in them so the
cable wouldn't be forced out into the mouse area or be so prone to
getting broken off?

The whole ADB cable arrangement stinks (are you listening Apple?).

arrangement 1

I have the IIci system box horizontal.  The keyboard is hooked in
on the left.  The mouse is hooked into the keyboard on the right.
The damn mouse cable interferes with itself.  I hate fighting with
the mouse cable.   I'd like to plug the mouse into the cpu but the
adb port is on the far side.  Its too short.  The mouse cable is
TOO damn short!

arrangement 2

I have the IIci system box horizontal. The keyboard is hooked in
on the right. The cable barely reaches.  Its tugging on the connector.
I pull on the keyboard, the cable pulls back.  The mouse its connected
to the cpu.  I'm not left handed.  Its too damn short.  What a pain.

The way I use it.

Like 2 above except the mouse is plugged into the left side of the
keyboard.  The cable runs around to the right side.  This requires
a U-turn at the connector and I can't push the keyboard against the
cpu box for fear of over stressing the mouse to keyboard connection.

Apple, please make the cables a little longer and for God's sake,
redesign the way in which connections are made at the keyboard.  The
connectors stick out too far and are too easy to over stress.  They
wiggle too much.  Has a cheesy feel.

I like the rest of it.

Matt

maarten@fwi.uva.nl (Maarten Carels) (09/07/90)

howie@triton.tamu.edu (MATT_K_HOWARD) writes:

>  Why do the stupid ADB plugs that go into the keyboard have to stick
>  out so damn far?  Why couldn't they have a 90 angle in them so the
>  cable wouldn't be forced out into the mouse area or be so prone to
>  getting broken off?

>  The whole ADB cable arrangement stinks (are you listening Apple?).

Stuff deleted...

What is heeded here is a simple extension cable. Go to your local
(friendly?) electronic parts store and buy:
* A mini DIN-4 male plug
* A mini DIN-4 female part
* Some length of 4 wire cable

Connect all  together and enjoy

(I did it, and I like it. Usual disclamers apply)

--maarten
--
In real life:	Maarten Carels
		Computer Science Department

jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (James F. Kennedy) (09/07/90)

In article <1236@carol.fwi.uva.nl> maarten@fwi.uva.nl (Maarten Carels) writes:
>howie@triton.tamu.edu (MATT_K_HOWARD) writes:

[Some stuff deleted...]

>Stuff deleted...
>
>What is heeded here is a simple extension cable. Go to your local
>(friendly?) electronic parts store and buy:
>* A mini DIN-4 male plug
>* A mini DIN-4 female part
>* Some length of 4 wire cable

[More stuff deleted...]

Question is, which of your local friednly electronic parts store has
apple-type mini DIN-4 plugs and receptors (not to mention Apple-type MINI8's
and LocalTalk). Geez, I have trouble finding them at some of the big bulk
distributors.....

					James
--
James F. Kennedy		Internet Addresses:
University of Pennsylvania	jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (09/08/90)

I liked the rumor (apparently just that) that Radio Shack was
going to produce a mac-compatable.

I don't care about the machine, but that would mean they might
carry the various mac cables and connectors.