[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Has anyone been able to get a CD

Mark.Bryant@p1.f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Bryant) (09/09/90)

SS>  Has anyone been able to hook up a CDR-35 (NEC CDROM) to a SCSI
SS>  port along with a hard drive?

I've got the NEC unit and two other SCSI disks on the same machine.
You're right, of course, that the cd-rom has to be the last thing
on the chain.  Check to make sure that the hard disk(s) you're running
are not terminated.

--
Mark Bryant via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54.1!Mark.Bryant

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (09/10/90)

In article <69943.26EB0E48@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Mark.Bryant@p1.f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Bryant) writes:

>SS>  Has anyone been able to hook up a CDR-35 (NEC CDROM) to a SCSI
>SS>  port along with a hard drive?
>
>I've got the NEC unit and two other SCSI disks on the same machine.
>You're right, of course, that the cd-rom has to be the last thing
>on the chain.  Check to make sure that the hard disk(s) you're running
>are not terminated.

  DON'T DO IT!  I had a NEC CDR-35 CD-ROM drive hooked up after a Seagate
hard drive in my SCSI chain.  THE INTERNAL TERMINATION ON THE CDR-35 CAUSED
THE SEAGATE DRIVE TO EMIT LOUD, METALLIC BANGING NOISES!

  Removing the CDR-35 caused the problem to go away.  I now have a Toshiba
CD-ROM drive in its place and everything is O.K.

  Good thing the MacZone had a 30-day money back guarantee!

-- Mark Wilkins

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (09/11/90)

Mark.Bryant@p1.f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Bryant) writes:

>SS>  Has anyone been able to hook up a CDR-35 (NEC CDROM) to a SCSI
>SS>  port along with a hard drive?

>I've got the NEC unit and two other SCSI disks on the same machine.
>You're right, of course, that the cd-rom has to be the last thing
>on the chain.  Check to make sure that the hard disk(s) you're running
>are not terminated.

Well I have seven devices on a SCSI port (CPU, Int HD, CD-ROM, Ext HD,
Scanner, Tape backup unit and DaynaFile) and I have the CD player
in the middle.....of course I had to rearrange everything for four
hours to get it to work and then I had to remove the terminator
that was on the end.  That's correct, I only have one terminator
(internal HD) in my system.  Hello Apple.....please preach to
us and give us devine intervention....why the #$%^& does the
SCSI bus present so many problems????

Like the MacUser article (Aug 90, pager 243) says,
"SCSI Problems? Who you gonna call?

1) Your psychiatrist, for a renewal of your Valium
   prescription.
2) Your former spouse, bacause you could use a little less
   harassment today.
3) Apple, to see if it has started a customer-service
   organizaiton yet.
4) The folds at your apple dealer, just to see what inane
   suggestion they'll come up with.
5) The spirit world
   through the medium of a voodoo practitioner. (end quote)