[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Thin horizontal line

heather@merlin.bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) (08/29/90)

This message is empty.

hmayor@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) (08/29/90)

I'm trying from another port!  There is a thin horizontal line
about 1/4 way up from the bottom of the screen on my high resolution
Apple RGB monitor.  It's always there even against my desktop
pattern.  Is this a defect and should I do anything about it.  I've
only had the monitor about a month.  Any ideas?
HDM (hmayor@bcm.tmc.edu)

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (08/30/90)

The thin line is a shadow caused by a wire used to position the screen.
It occurs on all Apple RGB monitors  (in fact, I'm typing on it right
now :-).  So, it's not a defect.

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (08/30/90)

Probably a dozen postings are on the way... but the line is a wire inside
your color monitor.  The bigger the monitor, the more wires it has.  Don't
worry about it, it's normal, and there's nothing you can do.

If it's any consolation, after a few months, you never notice it...

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Stephen Fleming         |   In ten years, computers will just be    |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  |   bumps in cables.       --Gordon Bell    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       +-------------------------------------------|
|  BIX:   srfleming        |   My employers may disagree vehemently.   |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

hmayor@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) (08/30/90)

Thanks for all the great replies I got about my HighRes monitor.
YES when I look closely I can see it on my trinitron TV too.  I'll
consider it a neat birthmark!
Heather Mayor

chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) (08/31/90)

All Sony Trinitron monitors that I have ever seen have (at least) two
such "defect" lines, usually about 1/4 and 3/4 of the way down the
screen.  I don't know, but I've been told that this is a result of the
manufacturing process.  An alternative explanation that I've heard
is that these lines are thin conductive strips which prevent static
buildup on the screen.

I am new to Mac hardware and don't know if the hi-res Mac monitor you
mentioned is a Trinitron or not.  I have a 16" Sony Trinitron (for my
RasterOPs 224) which exhibits these thin horizontal lines.  They are
thin enough that I barely notice them.  I sometimes shoot slides
directly off the screen and the lines don't seem to show up.

~chuck
--
+--------------------+   Chuck Ocheret, Sr. Staff Engineer   +---------------+
|chuck@APT.Morgan.COM|       Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc.      |(212) 703-4474 |

Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (09/06/90)

I originally saw these lines several years ago when I bought my first Trinitron monitor.  I thought I had a scratched CRT.  I saw that other Trinitron monitors had that line too - in the same place - so I didn't think about it.  Doesn't look like a manufacturing defect, though - it's nice and straight, almost as though it was intentionally put there.

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava

kevind@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Kevin Draz) (09/11/90)

In article <1786@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> hmayor@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) writes:

>I'm trying from another port!  There is a thin horizontal line
>about 1/4 way up from the bottom of the screen on my high resolution
>Apple RGB monitor.  It's always there even against my desktop
>pattern.  Is this a defect and should I do anything about it.  I've
>only had the monitor about a month.  Any ideas?
>HDM (hmayor@bcm.tmc.edu)

All Sony Trinitron monitors have a thin wire across the shadow mask (they
call it the slot grid).  This wire helps keep the tension on the metal rungs
as they dissipate heat from the electron guns, which prevents them from
distorting.  If they didn't have it, you'd see unpure colors, varying as the
image changed.  You can see this thin wire if you look hard enough at any
Trinitron, Apple's or otherwise.

Other picture-tube designs do not need a wire, but then again they do not
always perform as well as the Trinitron.  It is a trade-off, and a
inconspicous one at that.

Look at someone else's Mac, or go to the dealer you bought it from.  The
demo's have the same thing.