[comp.sys.mac.hardware] RAM upgrade makes printer crazy !!??

miller@rsmas.miami.edu (09/11/90)

Question: Why did my printer go crazy after a RAM upgrade?

When I rebooted after upgrading my Mac Plus from 2.5 to 4 meg, my imagewriter
II printer went wild. During the boot up process, it would spit out many
pages, each with one or two lines of garbage printed. This would happen whether
it was a cold start (ie. turning the power on) or a warm start using "restart"
under the special menu. I removed super laser spool from my system folder and
the problem still occurred. I then re-installed the system (6.0.3) and the
printer resources and the problem went away. So, either something was funky in
the system or my printer resource suddenly went bad. Why????

Jerry L. Miller         INTERNET:  miller@rsmas.miami.edu
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami
Remember: "It's later now than it's ever been; however, vg'f zber yvxr
           vg vf abj guna vg unf rire orra orsber."

dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (09/11/90)

In article <9326.26eb9a99@rsmas.miami.edu>, miller@rsmas.miami.edu writes...
>During the boot up process, it would spit out many
>pages, each with one or two lines of garbage printed.

  Sounds like the laserwriter driver was choosen by mistake.  This happens
to me all the time.  If it happens again, go into Chooser and pick the image
writer icon.

david paul hoyt | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

In article <2213@ux.acs.umn.edu>, dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu writes:
> In article <9326.26eb9a99@rsmas.miami.edu>, miller@rsmas.miami.edu writes...
>>During the boot up process, it would spit out many
>>pages, each with one or two lines of garbage printed.
>
>   Sounds like the laserwriter driver was choosen by mistake.  This happens
> to me all the time.  If it happens again, go into Chooser and pick the image
> writer icon.

Sorry, perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more in my original description
of the problem. Among the first things I did was go into Chooser - what I found
was no printers at all to choose from. In fact, I believe the imagewriter
driver is the only one extant on my system (can't verify for sure since I am at
work presently).

Someone e-mailed saying that I probably had appletalk turned on while being
connected serially to an imagewriter. Well, I have never used Appletalk and
have never had that Mac connected to a Laserwriter so I am pretty sure
Appletalk has never enter the picture.

Anyway, on the surface of the problem, it would seem that neither of the above
could be the culprit. However, I guess either (or even both) could have come
into play if something weird happened during/after installation of the SIMMS.

Still, it is a bit disconcerting since my first upgrade (from 1 to 2.5 meg)
went smooth as silk last year.

thomas@uplog.se (Thomas Tornblom) (09/12/90)

In article <9350.26eccfbc@rsmas.miami.edu> miller@rsmas.miami.edu writes:

   Someone e-mailed saying that I probably had appletalk turned on while being
   connected serially to an imagewriter. Well, I have never used Appletalk and
   have never had that Mac connected to a Laserwriter so I am pretty sure
   Appletalk has never enter the picture.

   Anyway, on the surface of the problem, it would seem that neither of the above
   could be the culprit. However, I guess either (or even both) could have come
   into play if something weird happened during/after installation of the SIMMS.

   Still, it is a bit disconcerting since my first upgrade (from 1 to 2.5 meg)
   went smooth as silk last year.

It was a Mac+ you had or?
Did you set up your PRAM after the power-out that is inevitable when you
pull out the mother-board from a Mac+?

I always forget this when I pull my mac apart, all my new files suddenly
becomes very old, somewhere around 1904.