[comp.sys.mac.hardware] any uses for 256k mac simms?

lrccon@ux.acs.umn.edu (Philip Arny) (09/11/90)

Hello out there.  We just upgraded a mess of Mac SEs to 4 Meg each from
1 meg each.  This left me with a big box of 256k Simms.  Is there any
good use for these puppies?  Can other macs be upgraded using them?  Can
any other computers (IBM PCs, IBM PS/2s) use them?  Do they make good
jewlery?  Please let me know.

Philip Arny
lrccon@ux.acs.umn.edu

--

Philip Arny, Bio-Medical Library, University of Minnesota
lrccon@ux.acs.umn.edu or lrc1@nve.hscs.umn.edu or lrc1@umnhsnve.bitnet

c252-aj@cordelia.uucp (Trevor I. Blumenau) (09/11/90)

You can donate your 256k mac simms to low-lifes like me who have 2 Megs
and could do with 2.5 Megs for free!!

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (09/12/90)

In article <2214@ux.acs.umn.edu> lrccon@ux.acs.umn.edu (Philip Arny) writes:
>Hello out there.  We just upgraded a mess of Mac SEs to 4 Meg each from
>1 meg each.  This left me with a big box of 256k Simms.  Is there any
>good use for these puppies?  Can other macs be upgraded using them?  Can
>any other computers (IBM PCs, IBM PS/2s) use them?  Do they make good
>jewlery?  Please let me know.

	I use one as a keychain. I suppose they could also be used to plug
leaky windows. Also, some third-party boards can be filled with 256K SIMMs
and then installed into a Mac 512K(e) to upgrade it as high as 2 MB.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Software Engineer	Symantec Languages Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu	UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

I hate fascist Pnews implementations which limit the .signature to 4 lines.

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (09/12/90)

>Also, some third-party boards can be filled with 256K SIMMs
>and then installed into a Mac 512K(e) to upgrade it as high as 2 MB.

 Also, Computer Care in Minneapolis makes a board called a SoftStep
 III, which allows you to take four 256K low-profile SIMMS and create
 one 1M SIMM for a Mac II or IIx.  They work fine; we've got a couple
 of Mac II's with 8 of these boards in them, using 32 256K SIMMS as
 if they were 8 1M SIMMS.  Each board costs just a little less than
 lowest price I've seen for a 1M SIMM, so they're cost effective if
 you got Mac IIs/IIxs and some 256K low-profile SIMMS lying around.