[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIci video

rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) (09/11/90)

  Is it better for the IIci to have 2 banks of memory
(say 1mb and 4mb) than just 1? I recall reading
somewhere that the built in video will tie up the
memory while it is working, but if its in 2 banks you can use
the other one without interruption. Also, can you specify which bank
(i.e. tell it to use the 1mb, even if the 1mb is the second bank
(assuming that you have to have the 4mb in the first bank as on
the lower macs))?

  Also, can the Apple color monitor be used with a future 24
bit card when I get tired of 8 bits? IS there a better monitor
for the ci which would (or better anyway)? Thanks

-Rob

"Its a good thing frogs can hop, or I'd be Gone With the Schwinn!"

In article <2390@idunno.Princeton.EDU> rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) writes:
>  Also, can the Apple color monitor be used with a future 24
>bit card when I get tired of 8 bits?

Yes -- the 8*24 and 8*24 GC come to mind immediately.

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (09/13/90)

rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) writes:

}  Is it better for the IIci to have 2 banks of memory
}(say 1mb and 4mb) than just 1? I recall reading
}somewhere that the built in video will tie up the
}memory while it is working, but if its in 2 banks you can use
}the other one without interruption. Also, can you specify which bank
}(i.e. tell it to use the 1mb, even if the 1mb is the second bank
}(assuming that you have to have the 4mb in the first bank as on
}the lower macs))?

From Apple Tech Note #176:  Macintosh Memory Configurations:

   The IIci has a much-improved RAM interface and allows a great deal more
   freedom when installing SIMMs.  Banks A and B are interchangeable, meaning
   that when mixing two sizes of RAM, the larger SIMMs do not necessarily
>> have to go in Bank A.  In fact, for best performance when using on-board <<
>> video, Apple recommends that the smaller SIMMs be installed in Bank A.   <<
>> Note, however, that if on-board video is used, then RAM must be present  <<
>> in Bank A.                                                               <<

   The IIci requires that SIMMs be 80 ns RAS-access time or faster and the
   same speed within a row.  You can implement the following memory config-
   urations with 256K and 1MB SIMMs:

    1 MB using four 256 Kbit SIMMs in Bank A or in Bank B
    2 MB using eight 256 Kbit SIMMs in Banks A and B
    4 MB using four 1 Mbit SIMMs in Bank A or in Bank B
    5 MB using four 256 Kbit SIMMs in Bank A and four 1 Mbit SIMMs in Bank B
    5 MB using four 1 MBit SIMMs in Bank A and four 256 Kbit SIMMs in Bank A
    8 MB using eight 1 Mbit SIMMs in Banks A and B

   The 1 MB and 4 MB configurations using only Bank B are not compatible
   with on-board video, since Bank A must contain memory when using on-board
>> video.  The first 5 MB configuration (with 256 Kbit SIMMs in Bank A) is <<
>> recommended for 5 MB configurations using on-board video.               <<

So, basically, you can leave the 256Kbit SIMMs in Bank A, and install your
1MBit SIMMs in Bank B.  This will result in better performance.

}  Also, can the Apple color monitor be used with a future 24
}bit card when I get tired of 8 bits? IS there a better monitor
}for the ci which would (or better anyway)? Thanks

Sure, the Apple color display will work with the Radius DirectColor/GX board
in 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 24-bit modes.  In addition it has on-board acceleration
to make 24-bit mode run much quicker, and it supports NTSC output timing.

     [See related message thread in this very same newsgroup, with
      a subject of: Re: Best color monitor and card?]

--Steve
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----

rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) (09/13/90)

In article <1334@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:

>So, basically, you can leave the 256Kbit SIMMs in Bank A, and install your
>1MBit SIMMs in Bank B.  This will result in better performance.

  Unfortunately (although only a minor inconvenience) Apple has
stopped selling (at least to us) ci's with 1mb, so I'll actually have
to switch them.

Thanks for the info, everyone who responded.