[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Best color monitor and card?

sollanik@intuit.intuit.COM (steve ollanik) (08/31/90)

I'm sure that I many threads on this subject have gone by in this group.
Coud some kind soul please e-mail the results to me.  I have a Mac IIci and
would like to get a 13" or 14" monitor and video card.  I know the card is
not necessary, but I want to keep video processing out of the CPU's memory.
Cost for me is important, but not the prime criteria.  I'm thinking of the
Radius card that can be upgraded later from 8 bit to 24 bit color just by
adding more memory?  Is it any good?  Is there a 24 bit card that is
reasonably fast without an accelerator and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
How are these Magnavox monitors that the mail order places are pushing?
How about the NEC MacSync?

Thanks for any advice you can give,
Steve

===
Steve Ollanik
internet: sollanik@intuit.com
hardcopy: Intuit, POB 3014, Menlo Park, CA 94026
--
Steve Ollanik
internet: sollanik@intuit.com
hardcopy: Intuit, POB 3014, Menlo Park, CA 94026

Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (09/06/90)

Why would you want to purchase a video card for the IIci?  I don't know if there is a reason other than speed that you will be doing this, but I experience no slowdown in video speed.  In fact, most benchmarks which I've seen published show the difference to be negligible.

If it's speed you want (and price is no object), then get Apples 8*24 GC graphics card - 24 bit color with a 30 MHz RISC processor.  If price is an issue, I heard Micron Technologies sells some inexpensive 640x480 and 1024x768 8-bit cards.  They also have a 128k cache card for the IIci.

I have a Sony CPD-1304/HG 13" monitor on my IIci (using internal video, of course).  I think it's one of the best CRTs on the market today - as is any Trinitron-based monitor (SuperMac, Radius, RasterOPs, etc.).  The NEC MacSync is not a multisyncing monitor (the Sony IS, and supports up to 1024x768 resolution) - I have heard that the MacSync is not very good, just a marketing ploy for an inferior monitor.  I haven't seen one or used one, though, so don't have first hand experience.

Whatever card you get, I would suggest getting the Sony monitor - great picture.  If you're going for more than standard 640x480 resolution, you might want a larger display to keep the 72dpi correspondence.  In this case, the brands mentioned above also make large Trinitron displays.  Good luck!

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (09/10/90)

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) writes:

>>I'm thinking of the
>>Radius card that can be upgraded later from 8 bit to 24 bit color just by
>>adding more memory?  Is it any good?  Is there a 24 bit card that is
>>reasonably fast without an accelerator and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
>>How are these Magnavox monitors that the mail order places are pushing?
>>How about the NEC MacSync?

>The quality of a color monitor is a subjective thing (just like the "touch"
>of a keyboard). In my humble opinion, the Apple 13" RGB is the best in its
>class (notice that you never see any of the other monitor manufacturers claim
>that their monitors are better than the Apple one, just that they're cheaper).

This is entirely true from my experience, too (as far as 13" displays go).
I have an Apple 13", and I have yet to run across another (multisync or not)
13" display that looks better.  Of course, if you think the Apple 13" looks
good, check it out after calibrating it with the Radius PrecisionColor Cali-
brator...

>As far as video cards go: RasterOps (not Radius) has a low-end video card
>that can be upgraded from 8 bits to 24 bits by adding RAM. Apple has one
>like that as well.

I assume you're talking about boards for the Apple 13" here.  Regardless,
let me fill you in on what Radius (currently) offers for 24-bit video:
[Disclaimer:  I work in the Engineering department at Radius.]

The Radius DirectColor/GX board drives the Apple 13" display, and comes in
one configuration:  24-bit with on-board acceleration.  It retails for $1095.
(Compare this to other 24-bit boards, accelerated or not).  In addition, it
also supports NTSC and PAL output timings (though you may need an external
RGB to composite adapter, depending on what you plan to do with the signal).
The DC/GX board supports 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 24-bit modes, and the 16-bit
mode supports a 1-bit alpha channel (overlay plane) for use with RadiusTV.

The Radius DirectColor board drives the Radius 19" display, and comes as an
8-bit board that is expandable to 16-bits or 24-bits.  The DC board supports
1, 8, 16, and 24-bit modes, and the 16-bit mode supports a 1-bit alpha channel.

The Radius QuickColor board is a RISC-based QuickDraw accelerator board (and
was the FIRST such board released for the Mac market).  It will accelerate
video boards that support NuBus block transfer, including the Radius Direct-
Color, DirectColor/GX, and the Radius GS/C board (an 8-bit only board for the
19" display).

>I believe you can add an accelator later to the RasterOps
>board. I'd look to pursue that route.

Considering what people are discounting the DirectColor/GX board to, it
is also worth considering, since it INCLUDES 24-bits AND acceleration.

(Not to mention fantastic [unofficial] support over Usenet from various
members of the Radius Engineering deparment.)
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (09/11/90)

In article <1330@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:

>  The Radius DirectColor/GX board drives the Apple 13" display, and comes in
>  one configuration:  24-bit with on-board acceleration.  It retails for $1095.
>  (Compare this to other 24-bit boards, accelerated or not).  In addition, it
>  also supports NTSC and PAL output timings (though you may need an external
>  RGB to composite adapter, depending on what you plan to do with the signal).
>  The DC/GX board supports 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 24-bit modes, and the 16-bit
>  mode supports a 1-bit alpha channel (overlay plane) for use with RadiusTV.

   One question:  Does it fully work under A/UX 2.0?

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (09/12/90)

In article <1330@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) writes:
>
>The Radius DirectColor/GX board drives the Apple 13" display, and comes in
>one configuration:  24-bit with on-board acceleration.  It retails for $1095.

	An unbiased note :-): I have a Radius DC/GX that I use with the
Apple 12-inch monochrome monitor (which is basically the same as the
13-inch color, except that it's not color). It's beautiful, and FAST -
24-bit resolution on this screen "feels" like 8-bit resolution on a
normal machine (I'm using a Mac IIcx right now).

	If you're looking for a low-cost color setup that looks great, I'd
suggest the Radius DC/GX with the 13-inch Apple color screen - I second
Steve's assertion that the Apple 13-inch screen is the best there is in
that size range.

	I use the DC/GX with a RadiusTV setup, but that's another story.

>(Not to mention fantastic [unofficial] support over Usenet from various
>members of the Radius Engineering deparment.)

	Steve Lemke and Jon Hueras are gods. :-)

	I have no affiliation with Radius, except as a very satisfied
customer.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Software Engineer	Symantec Languages Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu	UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

I hate fascist Pnews implementations which limit the .signature to 4 lines.

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (09/12/90)

}
}> The Radius DirectColor/GX board drives the Apple 13" display, and comes in
}> one configuration: 24-bit with on-board acceleration. It retails for $1095.
}> (Compare this to other 24-bit boards, accelerated or not).  In addition, it
}> also supports NTSC and PAL output timings (though you may need an external
}> RGB to composite adapter, depending on what you plan to do with the signal).
}> The DC/GX board supports 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 24-bit modes, and the 16-bit
}> mode supports a 1-bit alpha channel (overlay plane) for use with RadiusTV.
}
}   One question:  Does it fully work under A/UX 2.0?

Does _what_ work fully under A/UX 2.0?  DirectColor/GX?  RadiusTV?

The DirectColor/GX board does (as I recall) work in all bit-depths under
A/UX 2.0.  I'm not certain about the NTSC, but if that's what you were
interested in, I could check and see.  The on-board acceleration and control
panel extension to change to NTSC timing will probably NOT work under A/UX
since our past experience is that INITs have a hard time running under A/UX.

However, since the DirectColor/GX board will actually SENSE the cable that
is plugged into it, and switch to NTSC timing (on the fly) if you plug in
an NTSC cable (as opposed to the standard Apple 13" cable), the NTSC mode
may actually work under A/UX.

Likewise, RadiusTV is not expected to work under A/UX 2.0 (though we haven't
tested it yet - we just figured it wouldn't work and haven't had a chance to
check).

I apologize for not having more concrete answers regarding A/UX 2.0; A/UX
compatibility testing is my responsibility, but I would imagine that quite
a few people will be MORE interested in what I _HAVE_ been working on...
(No, I'm not going to give you any hints or release dates, either! :-)

-----------
In summary:
-----------
As far as I know, the present versions of all Radius display boards will
support A/UX 2.0 (and System 7.0 for that matter).  Upgrade kits are avail-
able to update old boards to the current version.  Radius Software is another
issue, yet to be addressed, but the display board don't require software to
function properly.

Incidentally, the latest ROM versions are as follows:

	FPD-II v2.2       TPD-II v2.2       GS/C v2.2     DC v1.3
	FPD-SE/30 v2.1    TPD-SE/30 v2.1    Pivot v1.1    DC/GX v1.1

[Disclaimer: This is from memory, and I reserve the right to correct myself.]

If you have Radius software installed, you can check the ROM version of your
display board by going into the control panel and clicking the little Apple
on the Tear-Off menu, which will bring up a row of boxes across the bottom
of the control panel, each representing a slot in your machine, the name of
the Radius board installed in a particular slot (if any) and the ROM version
(under the name).  Click again for a list of Radius shortcuts, and click
again to return to the control panel.

If you have RadiusWare 1.5 (which is the latest Radius display software,
replacing all versions of  II Display, SE/30 Display, and Pivot Display),
you will click on the "About" button rather than on the Tear-Off Menu.

--Steve
--

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.192706.11901@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@walleye.UUCP (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:

>	I was wondering if you can post a summary regarding
>RadiusTV.  From the summaries that I've read in the various Mac
>magazines regarding this product, it seems as though this is the
>perfect peripheral every Mac II owner should have if they wish
>to deal with any type of video/audio.  The resolution is good
>(both maximum size of a displayable picture and its depth);
>real-time video and audio digitization; closed-captioned text
>capture is implemented as a bonus; and the price is not too
>outrageous.  Are there any limitations one should consider when
>getting ready to buy RadiusTV?  Are the video/audio digization's
>quality excellent, good, average, fair, bad?  What about the
>controlling software?

	With pleasure. :-)

	The RadiusTV system consists of three major components. The first
is a full-length NuBus card which you drop into a slot in your Mac II,
IIx, IIcx, IIci, or IIfx. I was using the system on a II with a
DayStar accelerator, and on a stock IIcx. This board contains the logic
to get the video data across the NuBus to the machine, and the logic to
control the second major component. The second component is the "Audio/Video
Input Processor" (AVIP). The AVIP has inputs on the back for the following:
RGB, two NTSC inputs, two RF inputs, and a pair or RCA jacks which I
believe are for stereo sound output at line level. The third component is
the software which controls the AVIP/interface board combo. This consists
of an INIT which installs the .RadiusTV driver and initializes the NuBus
board, a DA which can be used to monitor the box (i.e. watch the Red Sox
while you compile), and the Theatrics application, which provides for
more sophisticated image manipulation. I didn't really use Theatrics
that much; instead, I used the Developer's Toolkit to write custom
software and exercise the interface, and I used the RadiusTV DA on
occasion.
	The RadiusTV system is the most flexible system I've ever seen,
given the variety of inputs - for example, you could hook up a commercial
laser-disk player and control it through the serial port, and view frames
using the supplied software. Also, the picture and sound quality is quite
good, even at times when you wouldn't expect it to be (like during heavy
i/o or computation activity). I didn't notice any serious limitations to
the system.
	I'd suggest that if possible, you set up a two-screen system:
have a main display of whatever type (for example, I use a Radius FPD)
for doing general-purpose work, and have an Apple 13-inch color screen
driven by the Radius DC/GX board for your live video display. The DC/GX,
like the other Radius DirectColor boards, supports NuBus block transfers,
and the RadiusTV system takes advantage of this fact when bringing information
into the machine.
	The only problem I had with the software was when running on
the Daystar-accelerated Mac II; the machine blew away whenever I tried
to turn on the sound. It's my understanding that this is a bus-mastering
interaction between the RadiusTV board and the Daystar board, and that it's
being fixed. (BTW, the accelerator board made no real difference in the
RadiusTV's performance, since it does nothing to accelerate bus transfers.)

	I'd recommend the radiusTV system if you're doing any kind of
software development that might take input from something like a video
camera, or cable TV, or if you have some other non-development related
application for live video capture. It's a bit expensive to use purely
as a toy to watch the ballgame while you hack, but if you've got the
cash to use on it, it's far and away the best system for watching
regular broadcasts on your machine.

	My only regret is that I was just a beta site, so I have to send
back my setup. :-(

Radius doesn't pay me to say good things about their products, and they
don't threaten me if I say bad things; I've been a satisfied Radius
customer for a long time, and if they keep coming out with quality products
like they've been doing, I expect I'll be a satisfied customer for a long
time to come. :-)