[comp.sys.mac.hardware] RadiusTV

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (09/14/90)

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) writes:

}In article <1990Sep12.192706.11901@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@walleye.UUCP (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
}>
}>	I was wondering if you can post a summary regarding
}>RadiusTV.  From the summaries that I've read in the various Mac
}>magazines regarding this product, it seems as though this is the
}>perfect peripheral every Mac II owner should have if they wish
}>to deal with any type of video/audio.
}
}	With pleasure. :-)
}
}	The RadiusTV system consists of three major components. The first
}is a full-length NuBus card which you drop into a slot in your Mac II...
}  [stuff deleted]              ...The second component is the "Audio/Video
}Input Processor" (AVIP). The AVIP has inputs on the back for the following:
}RGB, two NTSC inputs, two RF inputs, and a pair or RCA jacks which I
}believe are for stereo sound output at line level.

[rest of the RadiusTV comments deleted so I can address the above comments]

Close, but not quite.  The RCA jacks are for audio INPUT.  They could
potentially be used for stereo audio input, but they are more commonly
used for the corresponding audio input for each of the two NTSC (composite)
video inputs.  Thus, you can connect a LaserDisc player to audio/video "1"
and a VCR to audio/video "2".

>[more stuff deleted]    ...it's far and away the best system for watching
>regular broadcasts on your machine.

Thanks much for the detailed review - with the above exception, everything
was very accurate as far as I can tell...

>	My only regret is that I was just a beta site, so I have to send
>back my setup. :-(

Sorry about that.

>Radius doesn't pay me to say good things about their products, and they
>don't threaten me if I say bad things; I've been a satisfied Radius
>customer for a long time, and if they keep coming out with quality products
>like they've been doing, I expect I'll be a satisfied customer for a long
>time to come. :-)

I'm glad you added this - people might not have believed me if _I_ said that.

> Rich Siegel	Software Engineer	Symantec Languages Group

--Steve

Incidentally, before I get bombarded with requests from potential future beta
testers, let me say that when we are looking for beta sites, we post our
requests to the appropriate newsgroups on Usenet.  However, if you still
want to get your name in our "list" of potential sites, you can do the
following:  send information regarding how we can contact you (email, phone,
fax, and mailing address), your experience (what do you do with your
computer, & what, if any, testing have you done for other developers, etc.),
your equipment (what hardware do you have, what software), and anything else
you think we should know.  PLEASE DO NOT SEND THIS INFORMATION TO ME!!!!
Instead, send it to "macbeta@radius.com".  If you also have PC equipment and
might be interested in beta testing PC products, send the same information
to "pcbeta@radius.com".  Thanks.
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----

tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (09/14/90)

So far, RadiusTV is just begging me to buy it; but I have some
more queries.  With regard to the audio digitization feature, I
assume that it can capture sound at the "normal" MacRecorder
levels (i.e. up to 22 KHz).  Does it have the capability to
capture sound at 44.1 KHz; what about custom frequencies?  The
one disadvantage with most sound-capture devices on the Macintosh
is that the length of sounds is limited by available RAM.  Does
RadiusTV have this limitation?  It's probably not important
because RadiusTV's probably more geared to video, but since
Radius added audio...well...

A friend of mine played with a frame grabber from MassMicro (I
don't remember the company's exact name--sorry) and had
complaints about the low-resolution of NTSC signals causing
grabbed images to leave every other line blank (this is the
digitized image in PICT format).  Does RadiusTV have this
problem?  Will RadiusTV support other signals beside NTSC and RGB
such as PAL and SECAM (I won't have a need but it's nice to
know).  Will Radius support S-Jacks in the future--I know that it
doesn't have them now?  With respect to update speed, does it
take more overhead--is it slower--updating a larger screen area?

Ken
  Kenneth K.F. Lui        |   Other paths you can use: tempest@csuchico,
  tempest@csuchico.edu    |   tempest@{cscihp|walleye}.csuchico.edu