[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple 4x8 Display Card Problem

burrows@milton.u.washington.edu (William Burrows) (09/15/90)

I recently bought a Mac IIci with an Apple High-Res RGB
monitor and an Apple 4x8 Display card.  I am running the
monitor with 256 colors.

When rapidly scroll through a window or type rapidly, a thin,
white, horizontal line flickers randomly on the screen.  I
replaced the 4x8 card with an older Mac II 8-bit video
card from a Mac IIcx and the problem goes away.

Is this flicker common with this new card?  Can it be
eliminated?  I noted that the box the 4x8 card came in said
System 6.0.5 was required (I am using 6.0.5).

In article <7561@milton.u.washington.edu> burrows@milton.u.washington.edu (William Burrows) writes:
>When rapidly scroll through a window or type rapidly, a thin,
>white, horizontal line flickers randomly on the screen.  I
>replaced the 4x8 card with an older Mac II 8-bit video
>card from a Mac IIcx and the problem goes away.
>
>Is this flicker common with this new card?  Can it be
>eliminated?  I noted that the box the 4x8 card came in said
>System 6.0.5 was required (I am using 6.0.5).

No.  The 4*8 produces displays identical to the old cards, at least in my
experience.  If you can, try the 4*8 with a different monitor.  If it flickers,
you will have confirmed that the problem is the card, and you can get a
warranty replacement.